Question majorly under preforming 6800xt, help wanted

Dec 10, 2023
Basically, I flipped my 4070 system right before black friday to upgrade my cpu and motherboard to ddr5 and get a new case at 0 cost, I side-graded my gpu to a 6800xt but the performance difference is massive in a bad way. I know they're supposed to preform the same, which is why I don't understand how poorly it's performing.

Here are my current specs: XFX Speedster 6800xt, 12600KF, b760 motherboard, 32gb ddr5, 750w corsair 80+ gold psu, 1440p 165Hz monitor, windows 11.
Issue persists with both the latest driver version and the more stable PRO version, no frame cap enabled- in fact I have all AMD features disabled after trying to test if they were the cause but it doesn't seem like it, it happens regardless of when I'm using vulkan or direct.

Typically in RDR2 with 4070 on max settings I got around 75-90+ fps, and according to benchmarks what's where the 6800xt should generally be at too- but I'm not able to get past 60, a lot of the time I'm at 30fps, typically between 40-50 though, same exact settings I was at before. I also noticed that even if I dump all the settings- turn everything down to the lowest possible quality- my FPS range is still only 60-70, which should not be the case with this GPU.

As more quantitative evidence of this, here's my timespy score: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/43739313 which is way below what it should be at, it's in the bottom 6%, I know these rankings aren't always the greatest, since a lot of the people who use timespy are OCing, and I'm not, but still, I think it's indicative that something is up here.

What's going on here? Why is my performance so much worse than what it should be at? I feel like there's definitely some setting or something that's messing with this. RDR2 is one of my main games, and the constant swings between 30fps and 50fps makes it very unpleasant to play and is making me consider returning this to get something else unless someone has a solution.

Dec 10, 2023
Please run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results page
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/66331282 in the bottom 16%
i should note i haven't enabled XMP yet... but that shouldn't be the cause for these performance issues.
likely getting a more reliable SSD soon, but again, shouldn't be the cause for performance issues.
also, gpu usage is typically at 100% while cpu usage at 25% in games, gpu temp under load is about at 65c and cpu at around 50c under load- at idle that's closer to 45c/30c respectively.

The GPU chart for the RX6800-XT in UBM is very tight, in that the performance spread over all those tested dont vary much, so even though yours is in the bottom 16% its only 6% off the average bench so its not terrible according to UBM. It doesnt help with your perception or experience in your use case however.
Maybe, just maybe the SSD is dragging it down ?
Have you run CrystaldiskMark and CrystalDiskInfo to assess disk health and performance ?

Dec 10, 2023
The other you might consider is a BIOS update incase any performance improvements are available (at your risk !)
BIOS is already fully updated, while my SSD is slow it's also the same one I was using before to launch games from, and when it comes to load and render times everything is smooth, really the only issue I'm having is in-game performance being significantly worse than what it should be at with this PC.