Man Gets Drunk, Shoots Company Server With .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
A man from Salt Lake City is facing charges after he got wasted and shot the server at work with a .45-caliber automatic.
um... semi-automatic?
Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.

partytime

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]

You can get them, but you have to be willing to pay...

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]partytime[/nom]You can get them, but you have to be willing to pay...[/citation]
That crossed my mind but owning an illegal firearm was not in the list of charges.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Oh man, I know that feeling! I can't count the number of times I've gotten frustrated with a machine and felt like putting a bullet in it (or at the very least, tossing it out a window).

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]um... semi-automatic?Civilians aren't normally given licenses to own automatic weapons in the states.[/citation]
In the media the usually call a semi-automatic a automatic, were as fully automatic, they call a machine gun. Makes everything sound more dramatic.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]I knew the movie "Terminator" was bull****, see 1 bullet takes down a machine.[/citation]
Nah, I work in the aerospace industry. One of the greybeards once was talking about a project where they had to design a system processor card (with all kinds of chips on it) that could take a hit from a 50-cal bullet and survive. This meant lots of redundant chips and paths spread all about the board. Long story short, you don't even need the Terminator's titanium-alloy skeleton to protect from a single bullet.

That being said, NO commercial server is going to be designed to eat lead and survive, not from IBM, not from Cray, not from nobody.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]partytime[/nom]You can get them, but you have to be willing to pay...[/citation]
Common Sense from Western Pennsylvania tells me that you'd need a Class 3 license in order to legally own a fully-automatic weapon. I personally really enjoy shooting .45 ACP handguns... I'm glad nobody on here has said "Just another reason to ban Handguns" yet. Not to go off-topic, but banning handguns would make it illegal for the common citizen to own one, but do you think the people that are using them for the worse will care that they're illegal?

[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]If got drunk with a bottle of whisky in one hand a revolver in the other I take my vengeance out on the damn printer![/citation]
Amen. I hate my printer about ten times more than anything I own, yet I can't live without it...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]I knew the movie "Terminator" was bull****, see 1 bullet takes down a machine.[/citation]

Until Apple starts making servers out of liquid metal.

i1000 anyone?

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Roten67[/nom]ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol[/citation]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Colt_Pistol

The "ACP" part denotes the ammunition, which can be used in both automatic and semi-automatic weapons. It is a very heavy projectile with slow speed, but big stopping power.

Also, there are some automatic weapons that are legal in some states. It doesn't say he was charged with illegal discharging of a firearm, so it sounds like Utah has some loose laws regarding firearms, which fits their generally conservative positions on other political matters. It might have been an automatic. There are very few that use .45 caliber, and only one that is available here in the US: the MAC-10. It's possible he used an automatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_10

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Common Sense from Western Pennsylvania tells me that you'd need a Class 3 license in order to legally own a fully-automatic weapon. I personally really enjoy shooting .45 ACP handguns... I'm glad nobody on here has said "Just another reason to ban Handguns" yet. Not to go off-topic, but banning handguns would make it illegal for the common citizen to own one, but do you think the people that are using them for the worse will care that they're illegal?[/citation]

you could take the California police point of view: "just cooperate and be a good witness so we can catch them later". total BS to me, but some people believe it.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I live in Salt Lake so this is very funny. Also, the author of the article called the .45 an 'automatic'. .45 ACP is an acronym for Automatic Colt Pistol. Like 50 BMG means Browning Machine Gun. Yet, some Barret sniper rifles are chambered in .50BMG and they are bolt action or semi automatic, not "machine guns". Please, Jane, do a little more research. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.