Man-made Global Warming proven to be a hoax

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no cars, no jobs, none of this. No monies to invest either, since those with the monies will have their money making abilities taken away.
The going to war for oil, well, how did things go when oil was high?
Imagine it at 5 times as high?
Do you honestly think any economy wouldnt suffer dramatically from this?
Now, take the monies away from those giving jobs, those with the abilities to create ne wjobs/ways/cars etc, pull trillions from the economies, are you sure Im the one going to vegas here?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Basically, 'Frankly I don't give a damn'. I will not be around in 2050, so you all go out and either wreck the earth for humankind or fix it. In either case, I'll not be around to see the results. I've got mine, mate. Good luck to you getting yours....

anonamouse77

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

There will still be ample opportunities to invest money just not in traditional industries. There will be cars, you only have to look at cars like the Volt and especially the Tesla Roadster or Honda Clarity to see where that industry is heading. The renewable energy has to grow to fill the void left by fossil fuels, firstly coal, then oil then finally gas. You think no jobs will be created by this expansion?

I never said I supported a war for oil - in fact 'I am not willing to go to war for oil'. And i will imagine it 5 times as high.... brilliant nobody uses their cars now. People use public transport or walk or cycle. Or buy more efficient cars. People are adaptable and get fitter.

And i am still sure you're the one going to Vegas. We know what happens when you increase taxation and reduce expenditure (although in this circumstance there would be grants for these technologies), economic growth decreases. But that versus the planet? I'd rather take the planet. I rather gamble a few thousand worldwide job loses than to gamble the entire planet and all life there in. Human civilisaation is likely to be dramatically different in hundred years time, and it's not going to be a pretty site if somethings not done.

Reading down further it all starts to make sense. You're not gonna be a round when the sh*t hits the fan so why bother helping if it'll effect your lifestyle right? Well I will be around and it's people like you from the older generations that annoy me. Could change won't change. Don't get me wrong there are people from the older generations that have been doing this green stuff for years. Composting, turning lights off to save electricity, not wasting food. But there are others, likely including yourself, that go, 'hey i won't be around, why should i care.' And that's a very selfish attitude to have.

"And i am still sure you're the one going to Vegas. We know what happens when you increase taxation and reduce expenditure (although in this circumstance there would be grants for these technologies), economic growth decreases. But that versus the planet? I'd rather take the planet. I rather gamble a few thousand worldwide job loses than to gamble the entire planet and all life there in. Human civilisaation is likely to be dramatically different in hundred years time, and it's not going to be a pretty site if somethings not done. "
OK, first of all, mine was a question, as in, whos actually going to Vegas? It could be me, or it could be you, as I havnt decided, as youve obviously have, and thats my point.
If its going to make that much difference, a few more years before we grant our governements all this power sooooo freely that my forefathers fought and died for to decide where and how their lives would be lived, then weve done a sever discredit to them, and granted our governments unbelievable power.
Patience is something that also comes with age, and using all aspects of knowledge has always seemed to me to be the best course.
You say a few thousand jobs?
What if all the car industry isnt ready with all these new cars? Should those companies then just pay their entire workforce for nothing til 1 arrives? And training creating and building them will be free? And various models as we have today, well, how many do they currently have?
Do they have enough assembly lines thatre freed up for all models to make this happen, since only 1 or 2 models will be here?
Cars salemen, how do they go about selling in such a constricted market? Will there need to be so many with 1 or 2 models available?
All the gas and coal and oil workers, theyll need training as well, do we pay for that and then, pay them as well while they learn?
My point about fighting for oil was missed by you completely, as we saw just a blip of what happens to economies when a small increase happens let alone something truly drastic, as a Saddam Hussein controlling 20% of the known reserves. By doing what you and others are saying would create a similar long term scenario, and would cause much more than just a few thousand jobs lost, because the more you dont have producing, the farther we sink, and theres already alot of people out of work right now, and these "jobs" youre talking about are surely welcome right now, but where the hell are they?
Seems to me, having the economy as it is right now would be better, even admitted by you, so those investors would be crazy not to do such things right now, and lobbying for those grants as well, and our beloved governments surely wouldnt refuse them, and make them top priority also, right? Whats stopping them? Every job created means more money for them as well, and the training for those without work seems to me a better proposition than those who already have jobs, making them quit, then paying for their livelyhoods and paying for grants and their training as well. Seems bassackwords to me. Get the current unemployed to do this first. Use those still making nice profit on this supposed flawed scenario to make such investments etc
Hopefully Ive explained that waiting awhile is well worth the effort, and if its that close, nothing short of a severe dramatic change will make a difference, as some claim, then our economy, our very livelyhoods are all in jeopardy regardless either way, and doesnt only account for my age

anonamouse77

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

I'll answer the points one at a time...
It was a metaphorical question, in that I was comparing someone who says let's continue as we are to someone who would go to Vegas etc. I answered it. Still you.

Your forefathers though for the many and not the few. This is the same, instead of continuing to destroy the planet we should be fighting for the many that will be affected not the few that have the means not to be.

Well okay, i'll happily admit I under exaggerated the job losses, maybe a few hundred thousand, but that, on a planet with a population of nearly 7 billion, of which about 4 billion is going to be of working age is a tiny proportion.

How long did it take to gear up for war? To change all the automotive production into building tanks and aircraft engines? Not that long. This was a different thing for those workers and completely new work in the case of women who worked in Munitions factories and they needed training, so the training happened while they worked and we got though that didn't we.

Who ever said that only 1 or 2 models will be produced. Cars would still come in all shapes and sizes to suit the individual and their needs.

I did see your point about the war for oil but I didn't understand its relevance and I did ask you to explain it.

I never said that there were jobs now, I stated that the renewable energy industry would have to expand to fill the void left by shrinking fossil fuel based industries, thus creating jobs. Every job created mean more money for everyone, because every job created creates income which is then spread around the economy.

Who said making them quit? I never specifically said that any companies had to shut down. That would be totalitarian in response to this crisis. The business should adapt to survive, and taxation can help by slowly increasing the tax rates on petroleum based industries while, yes by all means, giving grants to companies that invest or produce products in the renewable energy sector. The once the sector is large enough they can slowly be eased off.

It's not worth it to wait, there's no effort required to wait, only to act. Which is why people would rather wait. The last time Europe waited was in the 1930s. A not-all-that-good Austrian painter, who developed a hatred for a certain religion and had world conquering ambitions came to power and in March 1938 he went into the Sudetenland, then part of Czechoslovakia and refused to remove his armies from there. 18 months later he decided Poland was his next target. And so would start a war that would claim millions of lives. Then a peace process that destabilised (destabilised it more at least as it stability was sort of shaky then) the middle east, when western powers refused to stop the formation of the state of Israel on what many feel is Muslim land.

Even a small change of 1 Celsius would make a large, global difference, with many coral and their corresponding ecosystems being killed off by higher water temperatures, a rise in sea level due to melting glaciers and thermal expansion of the seas and the flooding that will result. Warmer oceans also mean more storms and more powerful storms.

I still hold that they're in more jeopardy if we don't chance the direction we're heading. Yes it will be difficult. But life is, and this is something greater than being one person, you've got to look at this as part of a planet, that shares resources and the consequences of peoples actions and mistakes.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Well, SOMEONE has to pay for EA's upgrades... (and it won't be the aluminium plants or the coal plants...) and don't forget the new water prices for our de-sal water plant. Guess who benefits most from THIS upgrade? Refer to previous paranthetical expression.

I thought I did explain the war costs, or non costs actually. By not going to war would mean total chaos in our fuel availibility, and would crash the economy, whereby millions if not billions would be out of work.
Hundreds of thousands you say? I just used the car industry for 1 example , as theres plenty more, and money always trickles down, as do taxes, per transaction, and the loss in taxes also have to be made up, let alone all the people trying to sell some imaginary fleet of unmade cars and those salesmen trying to sell cars in a weakened market.
I know you see growth as a bad thing, and thats where everyone needs to understand, you cant just stay put, have no growth, it just cant happen, its either grow or die, thats why a downturn can at any time be a bad thing, and what you and others are proposing would cause this, and all the pie in the sky, companies will just create these things, are just that pie in the sky.
Why hasnt Intel just made a better cpu, or nVidia just made a better gpu, or we make cars get 200 miles a gallon?
How are companies just going to appear out of nowhere? How are existing companies just going to whip up that which hasnt ever been made?
And, in the mean time, where do you think 95% of taxes come from? Those corporaions and people that can afford them, thats where, and by stifling them, youre stifling all this pie in the sky development thats not even been created yet.
These things take time, and so does our collective knowledge of our effect, if any, has on our planet.
To roll trillions into the hands of those who put us in wars, step on the poor countries left and right, and only on the words of a few people that cant predict the weather more than 3 days out, and ignore/destroy any alternative voice, which I dont partake in in any way, is madness.
Im not saying we dont need these things anyways, and Im not even saying we arent causing some of this, but what I am saying is, running into this full speed when theres other voices out there saying somethings not right with what some are saying should be heeded, and putting our entire faith into something so lil understood is very very foolish, especially with the way the economy the way it currently is.
It doesnt need another hit, it needs a boost, and Ive been an entrepreneur, and it doesnt come easy, nor quickly, evem when the governments there to walk you thru it, not in never before created markets.
Unfortunately, this is all you know, all youve been taught, and havnt even seen an alternative to what they were just shortly saying, like when i was young, they were predicting another mini ice age.
This time tho, we have a total political advancement behind such notions, and unfortunately, Ive been around long enough not to find our "leaders" as noble as one may want in one

randomizer

Champion

Stupid EA...

anonamouse77

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

Billions out of work? Lets be sensible. A quarter of the entire world workforce not in any type of employment? Millions, there's a chance. But never billions. Oil supply could have been secured in another way, and if Saddam Hussain had 20% then the rest of the world had 80%. He should have been deposed for his human rights violations, i.e. gassing and shooting his own people. But for oil? There are other ways, and the stuff's running out anyway so we should be weaning ourselves of it rather than running around taking over countries like a crack addict trying to get money.

As I said before they'll be cars but not as we know then as in they won't have combustion engines.

I never said that growth was bad I merely said that it hasn't helped the poorer people of the world, that's two things, we need growth of course, I studied Economics so I should know, but growth needs to be built on firm foundations rather than debt.

Most of the technology is out there now, the turbines, solar cells, fuel cell technology, they're all out there but they need further refinements and to evolve in the way petrol engines have, this evolution and refinement has already started and the rise of nanotechnology will yield useful applications in many of these technologies.

It's clear we've had an effect on the planet, even without the global warming argument, with our destruction of the ecosystems of the world, via over fishing, deforestation, quarrying, oil spills etc. Include global warming and you've got the spring coming earlier, monsoons being out of kilter, more powerful storms and more flooding. So it's clear we have had an effect on the planet.

You already roll trillions into the hands of these people (I assume you are talking about governments), which we elect (in most countries) and leave to run the country, they get to make the decisions and they have to live with the media and opposition and supports of the opposition berating them for making the decisions, sometimes rightly, but sometimes just to argue for arguments sake. Climatologists and Meteorologists are different people, they have similarities however they are different fields of study. So while predicting weather 3 days out is often fraught with inaccuracies predicting the climate is often easier, because by definiton climatologists predict large patches of weather, meteorologist have to be finer and predict within a mile or so which is more difficult to get right.

But just stopping progress will likely be disastrous and while the voices are loud among some sectors of the press and internet among the scientific community they are few in number. The general consensus is that this is happening and it is man-made and as such we can change it. It's interesting to say that it would be foolish with the economy in the way it is, because in the 1930s the economy of the USA (and by extension many others) was in a state far worse than this, Hoover wanted to leave it to the markets but nothing changed, but when Roosevelt came into power he started a massive build program, building dams, roads and other infrastructure giving jobs to people and giving them access to jobs. This should be seen as a chance to do the same, by restarting the economy using these sectors, and although it should be said that the depression wasn't fully resolved until the start of the war we now have a greater understanding of economics. This new sector would be a boost or new jobs initially, and then absorb much of the job losses as they expand into the gap in the market that needs to be left by fossil fuel industries.

It is all I know, but I have not necessarily been taught all of it, rather learnt at least some through reading. How would I know something other than what I know? What you are saying is all you know as well. The mini-ice age theorem was grasped on by the press and apparently had very little real scientific support, this next bit is quoted from an IPCC document (http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_SPM.pdf) 'The understanding of anthropogenic warming and cooling influences on climate has improved since the TAR, leading to very high confidence (note indicates at least 90% chance of being correct) that the global average net effect of human activities since 1750 has been one of warming, with a radiative forcing of +1.6 +0.6 to +2.4 W.m–2' According to the wikipedia article (I know I know should be better) when the press seized upon this idea temperature had stopped falling and begun rising again.

I too know that the nobility our leaders show is flaky at best, age should not be a judge of intelligence or even experience (thick young people, thick old people), in the UK we've been lied to about PFI and other nasties that the Labour government have dealt upon this country in the last dozen years, and I have read and learnt of the quick sale of our infrastructure by the Tories, and as they are the two biggest parties (like the Democrats and Republicans in America) it means I don't really like either and neither will probably change anything.

I don't want time to tell, it's a risk that I'm unwilling to take, I can't stand to see the natural beauty that surrounds us destroyed just in case we were wrong about global warming. The pre-industrial levels of CO2, agreed from ice-cores from ancient glaciers and ice sheets, was 285ppm or so, now that figure stands at 385ppm. That is to say that there is 35% more CO2 in the atmosphere, which is vast and that's from the 500,000Mt that we have produced from burning fossil fuels and clearing forests. CO2 absorbs infrared radiation, it loves it, when a photon hits it its bonds vibrate and release the energy in to the surroundings heating them.

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

STUPID??? How??? They get to raise our rates because they 'NEED' money to upgrade. Not BECAUSE they made the necessary upgrades and now have to pay for it. I have to put the blame for this debacle back to Carr, as well as the de-sal plants. Iemma could've done the right thing and not implemented these policies, but didn't. Wonder if he's now also at Macbank as Carr's trainee? But all is now right with the state, we've got a new yank-wanker for Premier. Hope she works out better than the Three Amigos at Telstra did... Bah! Humbug! I HATE XMAS! Makes me want to rant and go out and kill endangered species...

randomizer

Champion
Hey hey, I call anyone who wants to charge me more stupid. There are alot of stupid people in the world.

Also, I hear that camels are really a problem in some towns. Perhaps you should take your rage out on them :)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Camels aren't endangered, just poor water starved feral beasts of burden... I had in mind one of the pair of bush turkeys that have been running around our neighborhood for the past few weeks.

Couple of quik points. FDR built the infrastuture by raising taxes so high it hurt the rich badly, all save the ultra rich, so too come the trillions more besides the trillions already will have to come to make such a quik change without harm, and put people back to work except, this isnt about creating new jobs, never has been, and theres a huge difference here.
FDR built roads, more contracters to keep them in maintenance afterwards, first people building them, spending their money, putting others to work as well, needing more things those with the new jobs want etc while this way, who are going to buy the "new" cars? Who? The ones that would have bought the old cars, right? So, where the win here? Taxes get bumped hudely, people have less to spend, new businesses taking over old businesses doing the same thing, I dont see that a product of growth

TheViper

Distinguished
Taxes...check out Hauser's Law.

ED-AH556B_ranso_20080519194014.gif

91% tax rate, 28% tax rate and everything in between doesn't matter. Still ~19.5% of GDP.

It was needed because of FDRs dramatic shifts and increases hed made during the depression, and could be afforded after the war, where prosperity was bountiful, and the GDP/tax ratio wouldnt be effected by them, thereby creating even more prosperity

anonamouse77

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

He also embarked on huge damming projects that created, among others, the Hoover Dam. If he was so unsuccessful why was he re-elected twice? This was because he helped the many not the few.

He started by implementing his New Deal program, which helped many poor people, whom didn't have the opportunity to save money like the richer did (They could keep their money on them instead of using a bank so they could avoid the banking crisis to some extent), and so the poor were more effected by the depression. I'm not saying the rich weren't, but the poor were more effected. He did build roads. But he also built rails and dams and power stations, which did created jobs as you said but 'Roosevelt did not raise income taxes before World War II began; however payroll taxes were also introduced to fund the new Social Security program in 1937. He also got Congress to spend more on many various programs and projects never before seen in American history. However, under the revenue pressures brought on by the depression, most states added or increased taxes, including sales as well as income taxes.' (wiki again) So any rise in tax for the rich was introduced on a state rather than a federal level, and payroll taxes effected everyone in employment, but not until 1937, some 4 years into his tenure as President.

If it never has been about creating new jobs as well as restoring old ones maybe it should be this time round. And the win is for the working and middle classes (and the environment), who will now be in work, which they likely wouldn't be in and so can buy the new cars. Who says that taxes will be bumped hugely? I said they'd be increased steadily on oil based industries, with grants to renewables, then once they've filled the gaps the grants will be reduced. Any tax is unlikely to be income based, and as such disposible income would be largely uneffected.

The basic way economic growth is produced is via the allocation of consumer and capital goods. These renewable would be infrastructure and as such would be capital growth, with short run growth being an increase in efficiency and long run growth being a shift in the Production Possiblility Frontier (or Curve) which is an expansion in the economy resulting in more production or the ability to create more production. Capital growth (more captal goods being produced) increases growth more than and increase consumer goods produced.

anonamouse77

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009

I've read it and personally I've never liked the woman, she should never have privatised any of the industries, and I do not consider her a great Prime Minister. As a Chemist though the argument is flawless, that is the more CO2 in an atmosphere the hotter it becomes.

I don't particularly know which sentence you want to draw my attention to, but having read it it's not effected my views one bit. I still think it's a shame that we could not go to Nuclear power and that two indeed tragic and horrible incidents have pushed public opinion of Nuclear power downwards. Chernobyl was caused by poor maintenance and inadequate following of safety precautions. Three Mile Island appears to have been due to poor maintenance and safely precautions regarding a back up coolant system if the other coolant system was being worked on. The only major problems with traditional nuclear power is the storage or conversion of waste, but we've made headway into Nuclear fusion which seems promising and would do without the issue of waste.

I mean I've read it but it's just not really an argument, there aren't any figures to back things up, any experiments to show that releasing 500,000,000,000,000 tonnes of CO2, which IS a greenhouse gas, that's a certainty, into the atmosphere will not warm it. That's the issue with this, there's plentiful evidence that global warming is happening and there is plenty of indication it's man-made. You can't fake the springs coming earlier or glaciers retreating or the rate of summer sea-ice retreat in the Arctic is much greater than before. There's no evidence, however, that the planet is not getting warmer.

One sentence that really struck me was the first one- 'All available evidence indicates that man-made global warming is a physical impossibility, but if the predicted warming could be induced it would probably provide net benefits'. For two points - one, man-made warming is a distinct possibility (and is happening according to the vast majority of scientists)

Secondly, the mere suggestion that there would be net benefits to warming sickens me. Warming will produce net costs, and on a vast scale. Coral reefs will likely be gone in a 3C warmer world and have show themselves to be effected by even small temperature changes, the Amazon basin, home to many known and likely many more unknown species of life, will be reduced to scrub land resulting in complete extinction to many species that live there. The rising of the sea level through thermal expansion and melting glaciers and ice sheets will make more areas prone to flooding and merely engulf other areas as I have stated before. I have friends who are Bengali and their families in Bangladesh will be massively effected by rising sea levels.

An issue is that developed nations have the means to adapt to the change, however the developed nations are in the minority population wise and it will be the developing nations who will bear the most burden of climate change. Droughts and famines in Africa and parts of Asia will become more severe, the Indian subcontinent will be effected by a change in the patterns of the monsoons, formally arable land will now become dust bowls or just be washed away by larger storms produced by warmer oceans. Heck even natural disasters are already being triggered by the change, glaciers have melted reducing downwards pressure in areas have resulted in volcanic and geological activity, melting glaciers have resulted in landslides that have trigger tsunamis.

Where's the net benefit?

Just offering differing POV, and its good to see youve read it, and goes to my point, its politically motivated.
Now, whether this makes a difference on the facts only goes more to my earlier point of being open and honest.
No one has the right to knock on my door, take my money, and then not tell me what theyre spending it on, whether it gov thru taxation or not, period.
This is exactly what theyve done, they defend this position, which in my mind puts them in or on the level of thieves, as they have no right to withold any info they get using my monies.
Until this changes, theyre liars, incompetent, and disingenuous

My problem with the rising sea waters is, wheres there proofs?
If current coastal areas have things that show there was landlocked life or human domains going back during the time of the vikings, then a raising sea level wont happen if they find it, as in that time, current knowledge, documented et al, is that the vikings lived on Greenland, which is actually Vinland, where they found wild grapes growing there, which is currently under ice, the same ice that supposedly raise the sea levels beyond anything mans ever seen.
So, its an easy answer to me, check the coastlines at sea levels now, if we find evidence of life going back 1000 years ago, or whenever the vikings were in the real Greenland, then its all BS

Status
Not open for further replies.