Question Massive screen trembling/shaking and fps drops after few minutes of gaming

Mar 5, 2022
Hi everyone,

I own an Asus Vivobook S15 S531FL. I sometimes game on it, usually Rocket League, but also other games. The laptop was definitely not designed for gaming, but it should run games like Rocket League pretty smoothly. I will leave the specs down.
The problem is after a couple of minutes into gaming, massive fps drops occur randomly. I start the first Rocket League game, the FPS ranges from 100-120, but after a couple of minutes, it will drop to 10-20fps constant with spikes even of 2-5fps. It looks like the screen is shaking/trembling when these drops happen.
I also checked the temperatures: CPU between 70-80 degrees, GPU between 60-70degrees. I consider these low temperatures for a laptop while gaming but correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a video filmed with my phone while the problem occurs. The first few seconds it works like a charm, 100+ FPS and then suddenly only 10-20FPS. Link to the screen record
Specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80Ghz (8 CPUs), ~2.0Ghz
Memory: 16GB
Storage: 512GB SSD
Display: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 2GB (Dedicated) and Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (Integrated)

What I've already tried:
- Power Plan set to High performance
- Twitching Nvidia Control Panel settings
- Updating Nvidia Drivers
- Searching for Malware (not found)
- Various methods to improve fps
- and a lot of other methods which I can not remember right now...

I understand this laptop is not suitable for gaming, but it should handle a game like Rocket League (all graphics set on all/performance), and it does for a couple of minutes only.
As I mentioned this happens in a lot of other games, but maybe it's worth mentioning that not on Valorant. Valorant is a CPU-intensive game, so I figured the problem might not be the CPU.

I will also try cleaning it and applying new thermal paste, but since the warranty is still available I can't open it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you're on for your laptop? Speaking of laptop's, what is the make and model of said laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. What version of Windows 10(not edition) are you working with?

Mar 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you use CPU-Z to see what BIOS version you're on for your laptop? Speaking of laptop's, what is the make and model of said laptop? An SKU will help us two fold. What version of Windows 10(not edition) are you working with?

Hi Lutfij,

BIOS Version: X531FL.301 from American Megatrends Inc. Date 07/29/2019
Laptop: Asus Vivobook X531FL_S531FL
Windows 10: Build 19044

TRENDING THREADS