[SOLVED] Memory doesn't match motherboard?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hi, I've recently bought new parts for my PC, and I got the Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 along with the following memory sticks:
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Unfortunately I've made a mistake before purchasing and didn't read it properly, as a result I was confident that this model is in the list, but it seems like it isn't:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#MemoryPS

I'm able to push it up to 2666 by increasing the voltage to 1.35(which is the voltage that should be supported with 3200), I could try increasing the voltage further to see if it will possibly help, but first I'm not sure I want to do that, and second I'm not sure if it would even help.

Would love to hear some suggestions on what I should do. Should I return the memory(don't even know if it's still possible..), also if I'll return the memories I'll first need to get new memories as I don't have other memories to replace with.

Thanks!

Solution
Already tried that though :p

Well I actually got in touch with amazon and I have 30 days to return the item, I believe I could purchase another set of sticks and get it before I need to return the old sticks.
Do you have any recommendations from amazon? I actually searched and didn't find much in a normal price range.
I don't want 4 sticks of 8GB ram as I want to be open for future upgrades, I could be ok with 1 stick of 32GB maybe, but according to the QVL there were barely any options.
I did saw this which seems to be in the QVL:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Sing...ords=CT16G4DFD832A&qid=1581207305&sr=8-1&th=1
But that is CL22? Not sure if it's really good...
Yes, it is installed according to the motherboards instructions for 2 sticks.
Do you think there's something I can do or this is the situation and there's no way for me to achieve that?
Im no expert but from what I read the max safe voltage for DDR4 is 1.45v. You could try raising the voltage further. From memory I think I'm running 1.41v on my OC. Alternatively you can try lower the latency timings.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Im no expert but from what I read the max safe voltage for DDR4 is 1.45v. You could try raising the voltage further. From memory I think I'm running 1.41v on my OC. Alternatively you can try lower the latency timings.

I could give it a shot, but the thing is I'm not really doing much things that require more RAM speed, so I'm not sure if I want to push it to the 'OC level' as that should shorten the lifespan as far as I'm aware.
I'll try playing with the latency as well, thanks :)

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
It's not recommended to go above 1.35V on DDR4. Going too far will damage cpu memory controller.
Normal DDR4 voltage is 1.2V btw.

Yes this is exactly why I don't want to do that, especially when it's not that important for me.
What I'm wondering about is, does all memories require 1.35v to run 3200 for example? Or is it per mobo/memory?
Maybe I should've further read before the purchase, I never considered something like this :)

It's not recommended to go above 1.35V on DDR4. Going too far will damage cpu memory controller.
Normal DDR4 voltage is 1.2V btw.
You had me worried about my memory but after a quick Google I found many overclocking threads on various forums saying 1.45v is the top end of safe with 1.5v being the extreme max. I’m no expert but there are a lot of people quoting voltages higher than 1.35v.

I'm able to push it up to 2666 by increasing the voltage to 1.35(which is the voltage that should be supported with 3200), I could try increasing the voltage further to see if it will possibly help, but first I'm not sure I want to do that, and second I'm not sure if it would even help.
Did you ever try manually setting the advertised specs? Ignore the sub-timings for now, just try setting 3200Mhz, 16-18-18-36 "primary" timings and 1.35v. If setting the timings doesn't work, leave those on automatic and just try using 3200Mhz at 1.35v. Also, if you stick to 2666Mhz, you shouldn't need more than 1.25v and 1.2 volts is usually enough.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Did you ever try manually setting the advertised specs? Ignore the sub-timings for now, just try setting 3200Mhz, 16-18-18-36 "primary" timings and 1.35v. If setting the timings doesn't work, leave those on automatic and just try using 3200Mhz at 1.35v. Also, if you stick to 2666Mhz, you shouldn't need more than 1.25v and 1.2 volts is usually enough.

Thanks I'll give it a try and see if it works.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

So it seems like for a reason I can't manually modify the timings. It's grayed, don't know if there's something I can do to enable it.
FlspfjN.png

hvzCAnY.png
vPbNvQd.png

I am able to use run 2666 on 1.205v.

what readings you have under cpu-z spd tab and the memory tab post a picture of them here .

2ECGXuC.png

GQIHuMX.png

So it seems like for a reason I can't manually modify the timings. It's grayed, don't know if there's something I can do to enable it.

I am able to use run 2666 on 1.205v.
When you change memory frequency to 3200 and voltage to 1.35v, does the DRAM Timings configuration menu ungray or able to be selected and entered? There should be some way to enable manual timing settings. I have no idea how as each bios version changes things and it's not the same UI for all AMD motherboards. For now, just try setting 3200 and 1.35v and worry about timings later. The motherboard will automatically set timings that may be quite loose, but it should still be far faster than running 2133Mhz.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
When you change memory frequency to 3200 and voltage to 1.35v, does the DRAM Timings configuration menu ungray or able to be selected and entered? There should be some way to enable manual timing settings. I have no idea how as each bios version changes things and it's not the same UI for all AMD motherboards. For now, just try setting 3200 and 1.35v and worry about timings later. The motherboard will automatically set timings that may be quite loose, but it should still be far faster than running 2133Mhz.

I haven't tried seeing if the timing becomes available when changing that, but if I'm changing it to 3200 and 1.35v my PC won't POST until I'll reset the BIOS settings to get back to 2133 or 2666.

Edit - I'm not sure what changed, but now it seems to be available(not by setting it to 3200/1.35v)
What timinga should I try setting it to then on 3200?

Good deal. Ok I'm assuming right now your timings are in AUTO? So you probably have some loose JEDEC timings like 20-20-20 ect. You can try the XMP profile. It might work. It might not. Usually the secondary timings are too tight at the higher speeds but you can try anyway.

There's helpful software such as 1USMUS Ryzen DRAM calculator that can help get you in the ball park of what will be your fastest stable timings based on ICs used, but you might be able to go tighter even still.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Good deal. Ok I'm assuming right now your timings are in AUTO? So you probably have some loose JEDEC timings like 20-20-20 ect. You can try the XMP profile. It might work. It might not. Usually the secondary timings are too tight at the higher speeds but you can try anyway.

There's helpful software such as 1USMUS Ryzen DRAM calculator that can help get you in the ball park of what will be your fastest stable timings based on ICs used, but you might be able to go tighter even still.

I just tried running on 3200 with 1.35v and set all the timings to the highest value possible, still didn't post..So I believe it's not related to the timings?

I wonder if I should try setting higher voltage? Don't wanna risk it too much really so even if it will run 3200 on 1.5 I probably won't use it, but just in order to figure why it basically happens.

Thanks.

1.5v is only for pushing some very tight timings and frequency. You shouldn't need that much. JEDEC timings can still run 1.2v at 3200MT/s. You will probably need around 1.3-1.35.

What you might need is more SoC voltage which feeds the memory controller.

IF the X.M.P. timing table does not work, I'd look up your ICs with Thaiphoon burner and check them on the 1USMUS calculator so you can see what will probably work. Your tRFC is 99% the problem for Ryzen.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
1.5v is only for pushing some very tight timings and frequency. You shouldn't need that much. JEDEC timings can still run 1.2v at 3200MT/s. You will probably need around 1.3-1.35.

What you might need is more SoC voltage which feeds the memory controller.

IF the X.M.P. timing table does not work, I'd look up your ICs with Thaiphoon burner and check them on the 1USMUS calculator so you can see what will probably work. Your tRFC is 99% the problem for Ryzen.

Thanks I'll look further into that as I'm not really familiar with what you said in depth :)

I just tried running on 3200 with 1.35v and set all the timings to the highest value possible, still didn't post..So I believe it's not related to the timings?

I wonder if I should try setting higher voltage? Don't wanna risk it too much really so even if it will run 3200 on 1.5 I probably won't use it, but just in order to figure why it basically happens.

Thanks.
Don't go higher than 1.4v, you shouldn't need more than 1.37v at 3200Mhz. Try running 2933/3000Mhz at 1.35v with 16-18-18-36 timings. If those timings work try reducing it to 14-14-14-34. If you can't get stable memory OC at or close to the advertised specs, you either need to return the kit for a replacement, exchange for an AMD ready or compatible kit or refund to buy something else.