[SOLVED] Memory upgrade goes horribly wrong

Feb 11, 2020
I have HP Pavilion dv6-21em Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 2.13GHz with 2x2GB RAM, my laptop supports up to 8GB upgrade. I needed upgrade and I went to Crucial website and their analytics showed compatible memory Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM. Since it was out of stock I find Kinston SODIMM DDR3L 1600 4GB so the same specific just different manufacturer. And my luck it won't work.

After installation I got blue screen 'Your PC run into problemm and needs to restart', after that black screen 'Preparing Automatic Repair' and it just keeps going like that in circle.

When I click ESC and enter into Startup, in BIOS it shows 8GB memory and after running a memory test it shows 'memory test pass' so that means that there is nothing wrong with the memory.

I tried putting just 1 stick, replacing their position but always the same.

Could someone please tell me can I use this memory at all or is there any additional tweak that I shoud take in resolving this matter.

Thanks!

Solution
Two issues that need to be addressed:

1) Identifying/confirming the RAM modules and configurations supported by your laptop.

2) Finding and purchasing the applicable 2 x 4 GB RAM kit. A matched set is necessary.

Start by going to HP's website to find #1 above. Then, #2, go to 3 or 4 RAM manufacturers' to compare RAM specs and confirm compatibility with your laptop.

Details matter. Read the documentation including notes and fine print.

Ralston18

Titan
Two issues that need to be addressed:

1) Identifying/confirming the RAM modules and configurations supported by your laptop.

2) Finding and purchasing the applicable 2 x 4 GB RAM kit. A matched set is necessary.

Start by going to HP's website to find #1 above. Then, #2, go to 3 or 4 RAM manufacturers' to compare RAM specs and confirm compatibility with your laptop.

Details matter. Read the documentation including notes and fine print.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS