Question Memory XMP Failure

Sep 17, 2024
Hello hardware enthusiasts, this is my first post about hardware and I've come here to look for help for a purchase I've made time ago.

My motherboard (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II) has four DIMM slots, which I've decided (possibly erroneously :confused: ) to fill with the following DDR4 sticks:

Two 8GB sticks of "Silicon Power" DDR4 RAM, with timing (16-18-18-38) and rated for 3200MHz.
Two 8GB sticks of "Corsair Vengeance" DDR4 RAM, with timing (15-17-17-35) and rated for 3000MHz.

Now my issue is that, with the standard XMP Profile 1, which sets the memory at 2933MHz with timing 16-18-18-38, the systems ultimately isn't stable. I have confirmed this both through the windows memory diagnostic tool, and also during intensive gaming, most applications would have processes crashing and giving all sort of errors.

I have achieved stability by completely disabling XMP and having my system at 2133MHz, however I was wondering...
Is there any way to improve this? Or should I just not bother for higher frequencies?

Thanks so much!

falcon291

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2019
You should not mix different sticks, it can be even a problem even with the same brand of sticks with same timings, different brands with different timings can only work disabling XMP. Sell all for 4 sticks and buy a 16 GB x 2 two stick pack. Or just use 2 of the sticks. There is no other way.

Reactions: Ambercode
Sep 17, 2024
You should not mix different sticks, it can be even a problem even with the same brand of sticks with same timings, different brands with different timings can only work disabling XMP. Sell all for 4 sticks and buy a 16 GB x 2 two stick pack. Or just use 2 of the sticks. There is no other way.
Thanks. I guess that's really unfortunate. I did not know RAM were extremely different.
I will keep XMP disabled to avoid data corruption and system crashes then.