[SOLVED] mesh wifi system behind router , can't access nas anymore

Sangetsu0412

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
So a few years back i installed a netgear router (nighthawk 7500) for my fathers business.
They recently added a new office space that's just out of reach of the netgears wifi range.

So in order to provide better internet for the entire office and downstairs housing i installed a TP-LInk Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (ac1200 Deco E4).

I just used the basic configuration , following the instructions on the android app.

I plugged in the first of 3 Deco's directly into the nighthawk router, then moved on further away untill the new office had a whopping 65Mbit download instead of 0,69 :).

Only one major problem and here comes the actual question:

There's a nas connected to the nighthawk router , the nas is no longer available since the new mesh network is active.

I already checked and the netgear IP range is 192.168.1.x-x while the tplink IPrange starts at 192.168.68.x-x.

I've tried to see if i could fix it but appearantly not.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Can't disconnect the netgear because there's 5 computers, 2 networkprinters and some other networked testing devices linked to the router.
the router itself is connected to their provider router.

If you need additional info, shoot, i'll shoot back.

Solution
You have 2 different subnets and that's where you are running into the problem. And this is because the tplink is in router mode. Change it to access point mode and the problem should fix itself:

And for work as serious as this (not a home or soho setup), I would highly recommend the ubiquiti dream machine and some of their access points. While it is just a tad bit more expensive than the current gear you have, it is 10x more robust and will work faster and better as well as more reliably.

Ralston18

Titan
So everything is working except for the NAS - correct?

What IP address is assigned to the NAS?

Are you able to provide a simple network sketch showing all network devices, their IP addresses (DHCP or Static) and sub-net masks?

What are those "networked testing devices"? IP addresses - DHCP, static?

And you posted that the TP-Link IP range starts at 192.168.68.x - is that correct? Wondering about the ".68".

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Sangetsu0412

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Well, no
The nas is the only thing she needs to access for opening workdocuments on that new computer.
it's the only thing that "matters".
But the xerox upstairs, the wifi printer downstairs are also not available.

the nas ip is 192,168,1,4
the network diagram is hopefully visible in this link imgur upload
the networked testing devices are tablets for his patients to do fingerspeed tests after accidents where their brain is damaged, to see in what % they are work impaired so they can get some kind of goverment salary funding and see what jobs they "can do after their accident" (but that's beside the point).
The .68.xxx-xxx was automatically assigned during the tp-link deco. installation and i had no hand in that configuration. (it's mosdef not 69 if you ment i made a typo? ;) ;) )

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
If you can get out from the mesh system and not 'in' such as to the NAS or other clients from the nighthawk side then it's probably another NAT layer introduced by the mesh system.

You might be able to move the NAS into the mesh system for a quick fix, otherwise ideally would have both a consistent subnet for various client types but also some subnet separation and firewall rules to segment those functions.

You have 2 different subnets and that's where you are running into the problem. And this is because the tplink is in router mode. Change it to access point mode and the problem should fix itself:

And for work as serious as this (not a home or soho setup), I would highly recommend the ubiquiti dream machine and some of their access points. While it is just a tad bit more expensive than the current gear you have, it is 10x more robust and will work faster and better as well as more reliably.

Solution

Sangetsu0412

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks @SamirD for this answer. I was thinking about the same thing but i couldn't find where to adjust the setting!

I changed the setting and the problem was solved after a reboot of the mesh system :)

I marked your answer as best answer, keep up the good work!

Corona-free-digital Greetings from Belgium

Reactions: SamirD
Thanks @SamirD for this answer. I was thinking about the same thing but i couldn't find where to adjust the setting!

I changed the setting and the problem was solved after a reboot of the mesh system :)

I marked your answer as best answer, keep up the good work!

Corona-free-digital Greetings from Belgium
Sweet! Glad to help! Stay safe!

Corona-free-digital Thank You from the USA. :D

Reactions: Sangetsu0412