Hi guys,

Does anyone use the Meta Quest 2 for racing/driving games like Dirt Rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa and City Car Driving with a steering wheel/pedal/shifter set?

If so I would like to get your thoughts on the following:
  1. What is image quality like?
  2. Did you get motion sickness and if so does it go away?
  3. How annoying was not being able to see the steering wheel and shifter?
  4. Would you say the experience is worth the expense or do you prefer a monitor?
  5. Not a deal breaker but can Air Link be used on a Wifi AC network with 200Mbps bandwidth?

Thanks

Solution
Hi guys,

Does anyone use the Meta Quest 2 for racing/driving games like Dirt Rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa and City Car Driving with a steering wheel/pedal/shifter set?

4. Would you say the experience is worth the expense or do you prefer a monitor?
  5. Not a deal breaker but can Air Link be used on a Wifi AC network with 200Mbps bandwidth?
Thanks

Hey Nighthalk117,

Yeah, I use the Quest 2 to for PC VR and racing, and some flying/space games. Have a Steering Wheel/Pedal for Racing (this is a generic PS4/PC...
Hi guys,

Thanks

Hey Nighthalk117,

Yeah, I use the Quest 2 to for PC VR and racing, and some flying/space games. Have a Steering Wheel/Pedal for Racing (this is a generic PS4/PC capable set), and a T-Flight HOTAS (Xbox/PC version) for flying games.

To answer your questions with my own experience:

1. The racing sim I'm playing most right now is F1 22. In terms of image quality, I think it's pretty good. In the centre point of view, everything looks great. In fact I was very impressed. But, the edges of view (periphery) can get a bit blurry. As far as I know this is an option you can play around with in Oculus settings. But overall very good. Am Also playing Starwars: Squadrons, and the quality in that is perfect no matter the view point. This could be because it's a space sim, and so blur effect or textures are not as noticeable. But nonetheless it's done superbly.

2. Yes, and yes! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: - Particularly in Starwars Squadrons, as your are flying in space, and can invert/roll/straif in nearly one movement. At first I tried to muddle through it, and after about 2 hours of playing that game, now nothing gives me motion sickness. Seriously, please try this game. It's still melting my mind :) It also happens sometimes in racing sims, when turning a corner and looking to the opposite direction than the turn. But it's a little funny feeling that goes in a second, rather than full on motion sickness.

3. Yeah, this was slightly annoying for me initially. And mostly because of the generic wheel I have. Getting a decent wheel is key here, and preferably one that is made specifically for windows, otherwsie (like me) you have to remap the functions. Now, that's easy enough to do anyway, but it's then remembering the new layout, and switching between layouts for different games, gets REAL annoying.

4. Absolutely. IMO it's a great addition to PC gaming, albeit PC VR - but totally worth it. It opens up many more options in comparison the the games available for standalone on the Quest 2. What I would say here, is get yourself a long ( I got a 5m length cable) USB to USB C link cable. This gives a solid experience with PC VR games. You technically don't need the link cable, because you can also use Airlink via the headset. Most of the times it works well, but you really need to have a dual band router, and connect on 5g with the router relatively close. The Airlink introduces some latency as well, but as long as the connection is really good, then you don't necessarily feel it. You can also play your normal non VR games with the headset on, with a huge screen in front of your eyes. It's fun, but only a side-track really.

In the addition the Quest 2 is still one of the best VR Headsets.

5. It should be enough.

Edit: Some game recommendations:

Half Life Alyx - Superb, immersive, graphically very nice. Runs like a dream on even basic specs.
Elite Dangerous - Only getting into this now, it runs sweet. Looks like a lot of my time can be put into this game.

Starwars Squadrons - Just play it with a HOTAS and feel like Luke Skywalker in an X-Wing :)

F1 22 - This is just superb. Worth out laying on a wheel. This game prompted me to do that :)

BTW, what system are you planning on running it on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nighthawk117
Solution
Hi @Roland Of Gilead

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response, that was exactly what I was after.

I saw F1 2022 on youtube, that did look quite cool. I have the the Logitech G920 (Xbox version) wheel/pedal set + the manual gear shifter. I'm not really sure whether that would be considered a generic wheel or not.

What brought this on is that I don't drive and I need to, so I bought the G920 and some driving games in the hope it might help me progress more quickly. So far that's been the case as 20 hours of practice on the PC has meant I was using the clutch and gears naturally on the first lesson.

I'm now using City Car Driving to practice the lesson material, problem is you can't look out your windows or check your mirrors like you would in a real car so it's not suitable for reinforcing those sorts of habits. I was thinking a VR headset may help resolve this issue. Dirt Rally 2.0 is also VR compatible and that's a lot of fun to play so I could use it with that as well. It's interesting you should mention Star Wars Squadrons, I have that installed right now but I've barely played it. I also have Ace Combat 7 as well but I think the number of missions is limited for VR. I have Elite Dangerous too but I've never really enjoyed the game personally.

I'll have a think and probably decide soon whether or not to get one, what you've said has certainly given me something to think about.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hi @Roland Of Gilead

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response, that was exactly what I was after.

I saw F1 2022 on youtube, that did look quite cool. I have the the Logitech G920 (Xbox version) wheel/pedal set + the manual gear shifter. I'm not really sure whether that would be considered a generic wheel or not.

What brought this on is that I don't drive and I need to, so I bought the G920 and some driving games in the hope it might help me progress more quickly. So far that's been the case as 20 hours of practice on the PC has meant I was using the clutch and gears naturally on the first lesson.

I'm now using City Car Driving to practice the lesson material, problem is you can't look out your windows or check your mirrors like you would in a real car so it's not suitable for reinforcing those sorts of habits. I was thinking a VR headset may help resolve this issue. Dirt Rally 2.0 is also VR compatible and that's a lot of fun to play so I could use it with that as well. It's interesting you should mention Star Wars Squadrons, I have that installed right now but I've barely played it. I also have Ace Combat 7 as well but I think the number of missions is limited for VR. I have Elite Dangerous too but I've never really enjoyed the game personally.

I'll have a think and probably decide soon whether or not to get one, what you've said has certainly given me something to think about.
Ah, excellent. Glad to help.

Logitech G920

Oh, nice!! Drool.com :)

That's pretty cool! And great thinking outside the box. I can see how that would really help! :)

Dirt Rally 2 is in my Steam account, and I've not fired it up yet. I do love the Dirt series, and am almost finished Dirt 4 (which doesn't support VR :( )

It's interesting you should mention Star Wars Squadrons, I have that installed right now but I've barely played it

LOL, I did exactly the same! TBH, it was so hard to figure out the controls with the XBox gamepad, I just left it sitting there. Then I found out that this plays awesome on the Quest 2. And boom, my interest suddenly exploded :) Then I got the HOTAS, which turns the game into an actual experience. The HOTAS also brings a whole new level in Ace Combat 7. The most recent update for AC7 has the Top Gun updates, and new planes with new livery. Certainly brings back some 1986 Nostalgia and Cool :tearsofjoy: Playing this game with the HOTAS is a challenge, but much more realistic than the Xbox gamepad.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
LOL, I did exactly the same! TBH, it was so hard to figure out the controls with the XBox gamepad, I just left it sitting there. Then I found out that this plays awesome on the Quest 2. And boom, my interest suddenly exploded :) Then I got the HOTAS, which turns the game into an actual experience. The HOTAS also brings a whole new level in Ace Combat 7. The most recent update for AC7 has the Top Gun updates, and new planes with new livery. Certainly brings back some 1986 Nostalgia and Cool :tearsofjoy: Playing this game with the HOTAS is a challenge, but much more realistic than the Xbox gamepad.
I like the idea of the HOTAS that does look quite cool. I bet that does for flight sim what the wheel does for racing. I haven't really done much with AC7, I've been meaning to get into it.

I don't suppose you wear glasses by any chance with your Quest?

BTW, what system are you planning on running it on?
System is i9 10850K, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 3080.

like the idea of the HOTAS that does look quite cool. I bet that does for flight sim what the wheel does for racing. I haven't really done much with AC7, I've been meaning to get into it.
Yes, it's the only way to fly! :)

I don't suppose you wear glasses by any chance with your Quest?

As a matter of fact I do. I use the seprator inswert thingy that comes with the Quest. it allows you to wear glasses and they're not smashed into your face :tearsofjoy:

Your sytem is very strong for VR. Should be able to run everything with zero issues :)

As a matter of fact I do. I use the seprator inswert thingy that comes with the Quest. it allows you to wear glasses and they're not smashed into your face :tearsofjoy:
I read a lot of posts on reddit saying that their glasses were pressed against the lenses or their glasses were pushed against their nose ect.. even with the separator. Sounds like you didn't encounter those sorts of issues?

I read a lot of posts on reddit saying that their glasses were pressed against the lenses or their glasses were pushed against their nose ect.. even with the separator. Sounds like you didn't encounter those sorts of issues?

My glasses are similar to this in shape: small rimmed glasses - Bing images

I did not notice any pressure on them at all. For me specifically the separator works very well. It could be different for other style glasses.

The one thing I would suggest to consider is that the way the headset fits over all. One of the issues with all these standalone VR headsets, is that the compute unit. AND the battery are located to the front. This causes me what I call, 'Forehead Fatigue'. Right were the headsets sits means that the weight of the unit is all on the front. After an hour of playing, I have to take it off for a couple of mins just so the feeling of fatigue goes.

I'm going to get a new strap/headpiece for it, which sits the an external battery to the rear of the headset, and this balancing it out a little. Much less fatigue. Something like this one: Elite strap for Oculus/Meta Quest 2,Newenmo Oculus Quest 2 Head Strap,VR Accessories Adjustable quest 2 Head strap Replacement for Oculus elite strap to Reduce Head Pressure and Comfort in VR…: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Last edited:

I did not notice any pressure on them at all. For me specifically the separator works very well. It could be different for other style glasses.

The one thing I would suggest to consider is that the way the headset fits over all. One of the issues with all these standalone VR headsets, is that the compute unit. AND the battery are located to the front. This causes me what I call, 'Forehead Fatigue'. Right were the headsets sits means that the weight of the unit is all on the front. After an hour of playing, I have to take it off for a couple of mins just so the feeling of fatigue goes.

I'm going to get a new strap/headpiece for it, which sits the an external battery to the rear of the headset, and this balancing it out a little. Much less fatigue. Something like this one: Elite strap for Oculus/Meta Quest 2,Newenmo Oculus Quest 2 Head Strap,VR Accessories Adjustable quest 2 Head strap Replacement for Oculus elite strap to Reduce Head Pressure and Comfort in VR…: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Hi @Roland Of Gilead. I got the Meta Quest 2 with the Elite Strap and Link Cable several months ago following your advice. I meant to mark your post as the solution ages ago but kept forgetting :/

I've had my frustrations with it on occasion, but they are largely down to the software. It's been worthwhile though, it's excellent for sim racing and not a gimmick at all. I've found it particularly good for Dirt Rally 2.0, I play no other way now. The graphics are clearly not as good as they are when displayed through the monitor. However greater immersion in having the screen wrap around your vision and the realism of being able to look where your going makes it a worthwhile compromise. I did try Star Wars Squadrons, it does work very well for that, but I think it's best paired with the joystick as well to make it more realistic. You were right about the need for a better strap. I didn't find my glasses too much of an issue but I hate having to take the headset on and off to deal with things on the PC. When it works though, it works well.

Thanks for your advice.

Hey @Nighthawk117 ,

Oh, good. glad it's going well for you. Yes, my bad. There are defo some little nuances to get used to, specially with games, as they can sometimes crash, or seem a little buggy.

That's a good observation on the graphical detail. Yes, it's lesser in terms of fidelity, but much more immersive. I guess that's a trade off for now, given the CPU's in these units v what's available on a desktop. Same with the GPU's. But that kinda impresses me given the hardware.

If you have a steam account, be sure to try out Half Life: Alyx. It's superb :)

Talk to ya soon!

Hi @Roland Of Gilead, I got prescription lenses for the VR headset last week. Looks better and much more comfortable than glasses for me, I'd highly recommend them if you've ever thought about it. I know what you mean by forehead fatigue, my solution was to tilt the headset down slightly so it's more evenly balanced on my face. You were right VR is a great addition to a PC gaming setup.

Hi @Roland Of Gilead, I got prescription lenses for the VR headset last week. Looks better and much more comfortable than glasses for me, I'd highly recommend them if you've ever thought about it. I know what you mean by forehead fatigue, my solution was to tilt the headset down slightly so it's more evenly balanced on my face. You were right VR is a great addition to a PC gaming setup.
No way, really!? I might try the lenses. I'm partially blind in one eye, so the lenses might work better for me within the headset for comfort and better vision. I think the frames are preventing me from seeing all the FOV. Good shout.

I've tried every different headset position, and I've yet to find one that helps. I do see comfort straps and head gear online that can really help with that. I might look at that down the line. Glad you've a happy medium going on. Comfort is a major factor in VR gaming.

I think the frames are preventing me from seeing all the FOV. Good shout.
I found I got a better FOV without the glasses and theres no distortion around the edges. The big thing for me is it's much easier to take on and off and it's comfortable. Before I'd get a headache after about an hour as the glasses are pressed into my head. Now I'm able to play for hours without an issue.

Latest posts