Question Mic doesn't work on new version of Windows?

Ovrcst

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
So I just freshly installed Windows 10 version 20H2, installed all the drivers but mic doesn't work on some apps. It works on any browser and on discord but only if I disable Automatically determine input sensitivity and noise cancellation. It works fine on Warzone but does not work on other games like Apex, Valorant, and CSGO (only static) even though it works fine in Steam.

I'm thinking that maybe it's my audio driver (Realtek ver. 6.0.1.8703 for MSI B350M Mortar) because it is only recommended for Windows 10 RS2 or earlier versions. My mic works fine on earlier version of Windows and the problem only occurred on the 20H2 version. Should I use older versions of Windows 10 for my mic to use or is there any other solutions that I can try.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Try and install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. For the Audio, once you're on the latest BIOS version, and you've installed all drivers, leave the audio driver alone and let the OS download the drivers it thinks is right for you.

Conversely there's version 2.82 listed on Realtek's support site. Try installing that in an elevated command and then have the OS update the drivers.

Make and model of your mic?

Ovrcst

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Try and install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. For the Audio, once you're on the latest BIOS version, and you've installed all drivers, leave the audio driver alone and let the OS download the drivers it thinks is right for you.

Conversely there's version 2.82 listed on Realtek's support site. Try installing that in an elevated command and then have the OS update the drivers.

Make and model of your mic?

I'm using the latest stable BIOS right now which is 7A37v1K. I also tried installing all the drivers as an Administrator. Let the OS handle the driver for the audio but nothing happens. I also tried installing the one from the Realtek's site but the same problem occured. I don't know the model of my mic but I tried plugging it on my DualShock4 controller then plugged the controller to my PC and use it as an input mic, and it worked without a problem. My mic also worked even if I turned on things like noise cancellation, it worked in games and other applications. What I think is that it's audio driver problem or that the port itself is faulty.
I'll try it on live Linux if it will work, if it doesn't does that mean my port is broken?

UPDATE: Its working flawlessly in Linux. That means it's an audio driver problem in Windows right?

Last edited: