Microsoft and Intel Teaming Up, Plotting to Take Down Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
make a $100-150 windows tablet that gives you office, web brosing, e-mail, angry birds..... it should be smooth like WP7 and it'll sell even better than the touchpad

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]x86 ftw - dual boot tablet anyone?[/citation]
i might not know too much about how cpu architectures go but x86 is quite old ... wonder if there is a way to creat a new one more powerful and more power efficient than our old x86

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple will bring itself down with all the hype, junk, and patent trolling it unleashes; and let us not forget its iJailing of its gullible fans.

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
The only thing Microslob gonna do is taking down Intel with them. Btw, I'm not Apple fanboy but they do make some really nice pieces.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The Windows 8 element is almost irellevant, as long as it can install an OS of the customers choosing such as Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 3.11, Linux, XBMC Live, and future versions of whatever, whilst being x86/x64 so my existing software is broadly backwards compatible then that is exactly what people want.
Sure it's good to look forward to new things, but only built on a solid foundation of continuity.

Sure.

But how will you get a critical mass of users behind it?

leon2006

Distinguished
Its the APPS game for Portable and mobile world. W8 is way behind IOS and Android.

Microsoft is late in the Party. It would be hard to catch up. W8 and MS-Office will be the main leverage but its impact will be limited. The APPS aspect will be the strength of IOS and Android.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Windows 8 certainly has potential to help dethrone Apple. The problem is that as history has shown, when you have an established brand, it is very difficult to turn people away from that. Also, the apple marketplace is so huge that it will be a while before anything on the microsoft marketplace can compete. I also think the big issue is going to be price. If a tablet and/or phone are comparible in price and I can get windows 8 for my pc for a small fee, I may be willing to switch since it seems like such a seemless environment. Unfortunately, that is how microsoft makes its money and it will probably price itself out of the market. Google pays for its software by ads and collecting data, apple makes its money by selling hardware, apps, and multimedia, Microsoft makes their money by selling software. The will need to step up their game by forfeiting a chunk of the money from the software and try and make it up in the marketplace.

For the last 2 years we have been waiting for that perfect tablet that will enable us to do everything we do on a laptop as well as still have the convenience of a tablet and even play our pc games. This could be the product we have been waiting for. Lets just hope they dont screw it up like Motorolla did when they brought out the Zoom last year and thought they could sell it for more than the IPAD and was crappy to begin with.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Both Gartner and IHS iSuppli report that Apple's share won't drop below 50-percent until 2015 or 2016.
And both of them have consistently failed miserably to predict smartphone market shares in the past. Why should we believe them now?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Knew this would come for the past year, why? The x86 got its power envelope down to good levels allowing MS to make a pad windows that would support current software and wont have to build up a new eco system from scratch but rather tap in to the richest eco system of them all - Windows! I will sell my Apple shares, doubt they will grow any higher.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]Apple buy allot of hardware from Intel. Microsoft don't buy anything. I don't belive this article.[/citation]

No they just make sure Intel processors get installed into most of the 90% of the worlds computers and it would seem AMD is lagging behind more and more so Intel gets more and more of that windows dominance at 90%... Compared to Apple's macs with the laughable 6% market-share world wide.... Who do you think is their best friend?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The Windows 8 element is almost irellevant, as long as it can install an OS of the customers choosing such as Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows 3.11, Linux, XBMC Live, and future versions of whatever, whilst being x86/x64 so my existing software is broadly backwards compatible then that is exactly what people want....Sure it's good to look forward to new things, but only built on a solid foundation of continuity.[/citation]

Uhhh, no you are sadly mistaken. People want a device that works......period. Tablet form factors do not work for general purpose OS's. People will buy these Windows 8 tablets and never change the OS because windows 8 will be properly designed to work on that type of device.

Tablets are not new, Samsung and several other released tablets (Samsungs was called the Q1) with Windows XP on it. Windows XP ran ok but it was the worst user experience you could imagine. Almost completely unusable in that form factor. I owned 2 of them because I worked for a company that was working on an Application for Hotels using them as a mobile in room kiosk. Project got canned and I got a good deal on them then after I realized they where useless, I sold them on ebay for $700 each.

Tablets should have a purpose built OS designed to work with that form factor without introducing any of the problems that PC's have to it. It needs to "JUST WORK". Windows 8 I think has a good chance of bridging the gap. But IOS has it nailed right now and Android is not far behind (I only say that because currently Android implementations are basically the phone OS put onto a tablet without tablet specific applications.)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]Apple buy allot of hardware from Intel. Microsoft don't buy anything. I don't belive this article.[/citation]
Yeah, but all iPads and phones have ARM based SoCs as of now, so that's a market where Intel doesn't exist.

I guess Intel's also secretly hoping Apple will ditch ARM based stuff and jump to x86, though i highly doubt that given the established ecosystem is around ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.