Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 at GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Well, I'm sure Mantle was nice while it lasted... I'm glad to see however DirectX 12 will be supported on all DirectX 11 cards... I just barely bought my GTX 770 not too long ago :)

Treynolds416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Well, I'm sure Mantle was nice while it lasted... I'm glad to see however DirectX 12 will be supported on all DirectX 11 cards... I just barely bought my GTX 770 not too long ago :)
Even if Mantle dies sometime soon (unlikely, imo), it will always be "nice" because it's arguably the catalyst for dx12. I'm pretty sure that even if MS was already working on it before they heard of Mantle, they would have taken development at a much slower pace and just sat on it for months or even years. Regardless of how well Mantle actually does against the other APIs, without it Kronos and MS wouldn't have bothered to update theirs. The winner in this API race is the consumer, and that wouldn't have been guaranteed without Mantle.

Jack Bauer

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Mantle won't go anywhere.Both Thief and BF4 are not build with Mantle in mind and they still provided lot of performance improvements. Also by the time DX12 is released and game with DX12 Mantle will have 2 year heads up.Considering that already is supported by Frostbyte,Unreal and Cryengine its only going to improve.Who knows , maybe in 2 years we see Mantle 2.0 ?

ocilfa

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
@rad666: For real. I saw on a different site that reported that Microsoft is on the fence with Windows 7 and that was it. Anyone feel like starting a petition?

If Microsoft wants to not support Dx12 in Windows 7 hoping gamers would buy Windows 8, they have another thing coming. I would rather buy an AMD GPU and become a Mantle fanboy.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Compatible on dx11 gpu... I really didn't expect that!!! But since it is on xbox one, I can understand why MS wants to push it, and so did Nvidia to counter Mantle.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Fascinating announcement. AMD, Intel, NVidia and Qualcomm in one room?Anyway, about Win 7, it'll be 6 years old and 2 generations behind by the time DirectX 12 is released. So I don't expect it to include it. But hopefully Windows 9 will have been a step in the right direction, so it's all good.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
DirectX 12 will probably be Windows 9 only just to troll PC gamers into buying their new OS. Ideally developers will support Steam OS along with OpenGL's new low level hardware API instead. It's time we move away from Microsoft's OS tea tax tyranny and revolt!

monsta

Splendid
This is great news, look forward to seeing the difference in performance especially that it will support some direct x 11 cards. I was honestly thinking that we would have to wait till Direct X 12 cards were made available , good to see this isn't the case.

Unfortunately PC gaming does not drive the industry. I really wish it did. Yes consoles take our hardware now and use it but neither the PS4 nor XB1 support Mantle. The XB1 supports DX12 and the PS4 is OpenGL.

We have no news if the PS4 will support the next OpenGL (the one that should also add in low level hardware support). That means the XB1 could gain an edge over the PS4 and since consoles do drive the gaming market more, so I am willing to be we wont see much more from Mantle unless AMD opens it to NVidia as well.

Look at it this way, is a game dev going to utilize a API on the PC that is currently only for GCN and also requires AMD to update the driver for support or an API that will work on the XB1, PC and across all current DX11 hardware that is out there?

My bet goes for DirectX 12.

As for Windows support, I think they will add 7 support. While I like 8.1, as it is a better OS from a technical standpoint, 7 still has a much larger user base and probably will since, well people are against change.

Of course we will have to wait and see.

randomoneh

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not super familiar with recent developments in DirectX world so can anyone tell me is there anything new and interesting about vertex shader in recent versions?

is there announcement about Unreal Engine going to support mantle API? about frostbite 3 and cryengine the engine might support the API (mantle) but in the end it depends on game developer itself to utilize it or not. while the idea behind mantle is nice to actually implement it will require extra resource since developer still need to make their game for directx since it only work with select few of amd gpu. honestly i want to see game developre to implement Mantle without any tied to AMD Gaming Evolved or sponsorship from AMD.

and about directx 12 it is interesting to see that nvidia will make it available to all their DX11 gpu (means from Fermi onwards) but AMD only make GCN based gpu available to DX12. why they did not include their 5k and 6k series which is also DX11 gpu?

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
+1 Just got a GTX 770 this year too and not looking to replace it for 3 yrs or so. The performance gains might not be so big on High end CPUs like my 3570k but any offloading of tasks that can be done faster on the GPU is welcomed. I just might need to 'updgrade' to win 8 though :/.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
It really looks as they just adopted Mantle or Nvidia researches in OpenGL and thats about it.
MS - always behind innovations. Well, it is called 'micro' for a reason )

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Micrisoft, Nvidia, AMD all in the same room......and bed......and.......pockets........and price fixing and all the rest.
First up, no console uses OpenGL - the PS3 had an OpenGL|ES wrapper but it was dog slow and anyone caught using it would likely have been sniggered at.On the PS3 there was libGcm, on the PS4 there is another custom API used called Gnm.(X360 used a slightly modified version of D3D9 without most of the driver layer. Xbox One will use an extended form of D3D11 with extra functionality for the hardware.)

ixlr8

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I have been waiting to buy a laptop for over a year, only because none of the gaming laptop vendors are willing to go above 1080P. I primarily use my laptop for development at work, and require the higher resolution. Typically the gaming machines allow 2 drives allowing me to install a large SSD and a larger platter based drive for archiving. None of the new super thin laptops allow 2 drives, and they are a pain to change. External storage is just not good enough yet. I have tried an external SSD, and it was not up to snuff. I want a 17" 4K screen that will game at 1080P. I know that it takes an insane amount of graphics power at 4K, but gaming is often not the primary use for the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.