Microsoft Backs Down on Controversial Xbox One Online Requirements, Used Game Disc Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, well that was quicker than I thought...

Windows 8.1's giving us Start Button back too; and they're now giving away the touch type cover for Surface Tablets for free... what's up with MS lately? they seem to just make bad calls and then back down on them

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
This sucks. I was thoroughly enjoying MSFT's suffering.

Now there will probably be some of my friends who get Ones instead of PS4. Before it was 100% Sony.

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
While I applaud MS removing their head from their ass there's still the discrepancy between hardware specs:

XB1 = 5GB 2133MHz DDR3 effective RAM
PS4 = 7GB 5500MHz GDDR5 effective RAM

XB1 = 768 GPU cores
PS4 = 1,152 GPU cores

XB1 = 1.34 TFLOPS
PS4 = 1.84 TFLOPS

XB1 = Requires proprietary HDD (Much like Apple this means they can up the price for no reason)
PS4 = Removable and easily replaceable non-proprietary drive

cepheid

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
While I applaud MS removing their head from their ass there's still the discrepancy between hardware specs:

XB1 = 5GB 2133MHz DDR3 effective RAM
PS4 = 7GB 5500MHz GDDR5 effective RAM

XB1 = 768 GPU cores
PS4 = 1,152 GPU cores

XB1 = 1.34 TFLOPS
PS4 = 1.84 TFLOPS

XB1 = Requires proprietary HDD (Much like Apple this means they can up the price for no reason)
PS4 = Removable and easily replaceable non-proprietary drive

So MS in damage control right now. Still there is no guarantee that they will not going to implement this again albeit slowly in the future. Luckly i don't have to worry about all this because i only play games on pc :p . the only console i ever owned was PSP

culgor

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
In this day and age, Internet access is the same as any other utility. We don't have an uproar because Microsoft didn't provide a method to play the XB1 when the power is out!?

We live in an always connected world, and need to realize that just like us, our devices can be always connected too.

I am glad they changed their policy regarding used games. This is a thriving market that needs to be available for the good of the community.

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Wow, just a week after Sony stomped them at E3--a week in which they trotted out execs several times saying that they wouldn't change their strategies and that consumers would love their vision of the future.

This big of a PR flop is the stuff of legends.

unimatrixzero

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
What this tell you is that Microsoft didn't just listen to people's demands since they kept insisting on their restrictions. What they listened to is money. They saw the pre-order numbers of the Xbox One and PS4 and saw themselves losing market share and their reputation. If there's anything we can all learn is that the peoples' voice is heard when people vote with their wallets. Microsoft listened to this which is a positive thing, whereas many other companies fail by listening too late.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
dont know why everyone keeps pointing out the specs difference? xbox 360 had crap specs vs the ps3 and both did very well. the only thing they are failing on is the price difference

aoneone

May 27, 2011
BAHAHAHHA TOO LATE XBOX ONE! I'm laughing... I'm sorry but it's just TOO late. Mattrick you said tough nuggets and go with xbox 360 and now you change your mind?!?!? Bwaaahhahahahaa!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
PS4 doesn't include the cost of the Eye, but XB1 has the Kinect 2 bundled, so cost isnt that much different, plus the Eye blows compared to the Kinect 2

Dropping all the DRM and used sales restrictions I think is a mistake however, maybe dial it down a notch but drop it altogether? Wrong. If a games developer sees an opportunity to sell a copy to everyone with the Xb1, whereas the PS4 sells one copy which gets traded between a dozen people with no cut going back to the developer - you could be guaranteed that there would be a huge number of XB1 exclusive AAA titles and hardly any for PS4, plus the price could drop for $60 a game to $40 or less and the devs would still rake twice as much dough

The complain campaign hasn't got what it wants because it is a means to an end, that end is cheaper games and now you are stuck in the same old tired Gamestop leeching from the games industry system, the same end could have been achieved but never mind, it will have to wait for the next-gen after this one

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
It was obvious they were going to do this. It's a plan to boost opinions/feelings that the team actually gives two shits about the community. I expected it, just not this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.