Microsoft Gets Green Light For Skype Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Well time to start looking for an alternative to Skype so when M$ F's it up I will have a back up plan.... Not saying that they will screw it up, but Microsoft sort of has a history of fixing things that are not broke.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
Bill Gates and Ballmer should resign from Microsoft immediately.
The way they think they can be greedy and buying this and that company will not help the Information Technology industry. All the US and European Union care about is only $ :(

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Microsoft, like any other company, is "all about money", they ARE a business after all. I don't think that we'll see too much happen overnight to Skype. What we will see is Skype patents and IP used in Bing, XBOX, Microsoft's hardware division, Windows and Windows Live and particularly Office. I think that Microsoft can make the Skype network greater with their resources and reach, and even get it in the hands of professionals through their powerful Server and Enterprise division.

Chances are you use a product or service that is owned by Company XYZ and you don't even know it. I think of this as a good thing for the web, for multi-platform Skype users and for Microsoft (which many people still use IE, etc.- and would benefit from this acquisition.)

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I like this, since I can't get most of my friends to ditch MSN for Skype maybe there will be some kind of cross-platform communications?
Anyway, the resources Microsoft has can only mean good things for Skype.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Who the hell uses MSN? :heink: I don't know ANYONE who uses it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]what can MS do differently when eBay failed miserably?I sure can't think of any...[/citation]
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]GTFO troll[/citation]
+1000 to you.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I have good hope in this deal with Microsoft. It was a bit daunting at first (as a heavy skype user) to have it sold to MS, but after getting used to the idea, it could well be positive.
Skype needs to bring back the functionality it had in v3.8, and subsequently lost in v4.0+
The other thing is interoperability with skype is near useless atm. We need to be able to text & communicate with just about any other IM program through skype. That would give, in the long run, the largest boost to skype's market share.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

3.8 was my favorite version of Skype: very resource-friendly and flexible. New versions are worse; I regret that Win7 doesn't let you run 3.8 on it. And Skype for Linux is a freakin' disaster, and now that MS got it, I don't see it getting any better.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]3.8 was my favorite version of Skype: very resource-friendly and flexible. New versions are worse; I regret that Win7 doesn't let you run 3.8 on it. And Skype for Linux is a freakin' disaster, and now that MS got it, I don't see it getting any better.[/citation]
You don't know that yet. Skype has been notorious lately for delayed support for Android, Linux and the like. They only developed properly for iOS and Windows. So, they have been a disaster even before this merger; I don't really see how much worse they can get. Check various Android forums for their (lack of) support from Skype.
For mobile, I am using Tango already; better coverage of various devices. They have expanded recently to Windows and hopefully to Linux in near future.

Graham_71

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
[citation][nom]RogueKitsune[/nom]Well time to start looking for an alternative to Skype so when M$ F's it up I will have a back up plan.... Not saying that they will screw it up, but Microsoft sort of has a history of fixing things that are not broke.[/citation]

Let's hope Skype doesn't go the way of musicmatch jukebox after yahoo brought and killed it. Anyway there's always oovoo

xxCHAOSxx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I hate that the latest version of Skype loading that Facebook Status screen and no way to tell it not to appear in the options. That irks me. If i wanted Facebook I would open Facebook. I don't want or need Skype to do it for me.

As for an alternative, there is OOVOO. the free version allows up to 6 people to vid confrence, but, i will admit that the overall vid and voice quality is far inferior to Skype. However it is an alternative if M$ adjusts fees and starts charging for computer to computer calling as well.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Who the hell uses MSN? I don't know ANYONE who uses it.[/citation]
Surely he means Window Live Messenger, some people still call it MSN, the same way people insist on calling a @live.com email a "hotmail" account.

In which case, 330 million active users is not to be sneezed at.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I know what's MSN and that it has many users; I just never met one :lol:

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I know what's MSN and that it has many users; I just never met one[/citation]
Reminds me of one of my favorite Chris Rock lines from the 1997 MTV VMAs,
The Spice Girls are kinda like heroin. Everybody's doing it, but nobody admits it

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I know what's MSN and that it has many users; I just never met one[/citation]
Because you're too young.

Status
Not open for further replies.