Microsoft Intros Sculpt Comfort Keyboard for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
First - LOL

But seriously looks nice but I still prefer my *click-click-click* keyboards.

It would be cool to have them old PS/2 IBM *clack-clack* keyboards available.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]innocent bystander[/nom]I like the split space / backspace idea.IB[/citation]
I have a Keytronics Flexpro with the same configuration. It was made over 10 years ago (PC-AT DIN5 connector). The additional key within thumb range might be useful for some games.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Instead they should launch a cheap touchpad so we can use windows 8.[/citation]

Define Cheap! MS is releasing three mice between 50-80 bucks with touch pads on them for Win 8.

mythostd

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
A few years back I had one of their curved keyboards. I think they are pretty comfortable. You spend less time moving your hands to hit various keys.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ELMO_2006[/nom]First - LOLBut seriously looks nice but I still prefer my *click-click-click* keyboards.It would be cool to have them old PS/2 IBM *clack-clack* keyboards available.[/citation]

They still are, unicomp makes them now.

www.unicomp.com

if you want something modern, go for any board with a cherry blue MX switch.

G

Useless for gamers, as one uses the left thumb on the spacebar for jumping.

[citation][nom]gh[/nom]Useless for gamers, as one uses the left thumb on the spacebar for jumping.[/citation]

Who said these are for gamers? It's for typing, did you miss the part that said:

"Microsoft’s new keyboard also features another set of shortcuts seemingly focused on the Office environment."

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]gh[/nom]Useless for gamers, as one uses the left thumb on the spacebar for jumping.[/citation]
Actually, the split/dual space bars might make it more responsive. Each spacebar in the split verion would have more torque available.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I just hope it'll be more water-resistant than the Natural 4000s. I buy those because they are on sale quite often. It's just that I'm extra-careful not to fry them. Microsoft knows this, and at least they are really cool about sending you a replacement

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I like the keyboard. I'd probably buy it (except Microsoft's Sidewinder X4 better suites my needs).

I must say I do think MS peripherals are well designed. I have the ergonomic Wireless 6000 and it's fantastic. Very comfortable, easy to type long papers on, and it even works well for gaming.

Also, MS's peripheral customer support is great. The first keyboard I got had a defective X-key after a few months. MS set me a newer version for free no questions asked, and I didn't even have to send them my old keyboard.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I've never owned a keyboard like this but I've always liked ergonomic keyboards from Microsoft, the one I've used on Bestbuy over the years all feel amazing for my hands. If my Saitek Eclipse II decides to die I'll think I'll buy one of these next, these gaming keyboard are not very comfortable imo.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
no thanks for this new idea. when typing habit is set it's hard to change- use the right little finger to type the "backspace". on every keyboard the layout should be same.
i could not change my habit for this specific keyboard, and go back to the traditional way on other keyboards, on notebooks.
i actually use my left thumb to tap the left part of space bar most of the time, it's not right to assign the left part of space bar be other key.
most other Microsoft's keyboard and mouse are good, Microsoft has been my first choice for years.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
While I do applaud Microsoft's R&D efforts to make the keyboard more efficient, I really think the root of the problem lies with the computer user. I know countless people (and seen countless strangers at coffee shops) type with their index fingers and thumbs. I've also seen people type on "ergonomic" keyboards again with their thumb and index fingers and yet they praise the split-keyboard design like it's revolutionary.

What's so difficult about taking the time to properly learn how to use a computer keyboard? When I learned it as a kid back in the 1980's, all I had was an IBM 286 XT computer and Typing Tutor for DOS. So you can imagine how much less boring and more interactive and interesting current typing tutor programs are today.

Honestly the keyboard is ridiculously efficient if learned properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.