Microsoft Says If You Don't Have Internet: Get Xbox 360, Not Xbox One

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Hey MS. Your XBOX ONE is an Epic Fail!!!!

131414657SoYbKW.gif

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I cannot believe the hubris this company is showing... I'm impressed, and that's not a good thing... a consumer base as passionate as gamers are the ones they need to target for the FULL PRICE and they are the ones most unhappy with everything Microsoft is selling... did they not even 'do' any market research? Or are they trying to shoot for a completely different market than the one who gave them their giant piles of Halo cash? Cuz I don't think the Wii type families are going to drop $600 + $60 a month to enhance their TV watching...

Hasn't anyone ever heard of the First Sale Doctrine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

Once a company sells a product legal and fair, its not entitled to any money for transactions or reimbursement after that, so unless we are transitioning to a rental concept, apparently none of the game publishers are really wanting to sell us games, they want us to instead subscribe to their game 'service' and continue to get paid... Cuz guaranteed money totally spawns creative thinking and new ideas...

Dry

John Hadley

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Great answer. If you don't have internet access you should use this ancient device that we've been selling for almost ten years. Or maybe a Super Nintendo or Atari 2600? Surely you people don't want to play modern games.

breethon

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I predict Don will be looking for a new job within 6 months of XBone Launch. Definitely going PS4 in my house. What a tool.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

I think they are trying to shoot for a market that doesn't really want the Xbox or the subscription. :/

Dry

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I can't even believe how lame the XBox One is looking to be. What I have read so far has all been a TOTAL deal killer. Can't wait for the PS4 however. I'll switch sides, I don't care. MS can go screw themselves and their DRM no used games crapola system. Seriously I hope this is an epic failure like the world has never seen. Spread the world my gamer friends, boycott the XBox One... speak with our wallets and inform the masses and casual gamers that the PS4 is the system to buy this fall. Speak loud and often, let's support Sony on this one for doing the right thing.

dailo23

Honorable
May 26, 2013
as much as i hate it, but this internet-connect concept are going to be here to stay. The whole on-line concept are just too good for companies to ignore. it gives them control, and prevent piracy. on the PC side, more and more software are integrated with online features that in a few generations, everything will be on the internet.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Yeah, the troops will come back and will kick Ballmer's ass. XD
With a "tomahawk" missile probably.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
REALLY HATING THE COMMENT SYSTEM ERRORS!

PS4 won't have used games either (it's up to devs) and don't forget the patent they have that can attach to discs (or whatever) to your nametag etc. That sony vid was just a PR stunt not telling the whole story. Don't get me wrong I won't buy EITHER console (those days are over for me - PC only now with shield maybe to get maxwell to TV), but I'm just saying Sony is basically the same but you can play offline at least or PAY to play on their network also. Neither of these two guys are doing you any favors though sony does APPEAR to be better. I'll be shocked if the devs don't take the same grab MS is trying to do with used games. Why wouldn't they? Maybe sony won't themselves but the DEVS will or will block them totally. It's up to them.
http://techreport.com/news/24141/sony-patent-describes-rfid-infused-drm
http://www.techspot.com/news/51227-sony-applies-for-rfid-drm-patent-that-would-block-used-games.html
OOps sorry, Sony is leaving it up to PUBLISHERS (so EA etc) not devs.
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1298257/ps4-drm-controller-price-release-date-specs-news
Down the page a bit, you read Sony is still not telling all really:
"Interviews soon after the event made it clear that although Sony was certainly in the lead in this department, its statement wasn’t as all encompassing as first thought. It only applies to first-party Sony games, with third-party publishers free to implement whatever DRM restrictions they can invent. That leaves PS4 gamers in the same position as they are today, with constant incremental implementation of DRM by publishers."

Also in there they are clearly NOT answering YET:
"Many are picturing Microsoft as the big bad and Sony as a knight in shining armour, but until we get some clear answers to our questions (Sony hasn't been able to comment so far) we’ll be wary."

"Primarily, we want to know whether or not third-party publishers will be limited by Sony in their implementation of DRM through user accounts, with regards to gamers using cloud features, multiplayer, patches and other online components."

Make what you will but this statement says it all I think:
"Who will have the final say on DRM, Sony or third-party publishers, our guess is the latter"

I'd bet on third party saying NO USED GAMES. But at least you can play offline I guess, so still better and more powerful for $100 less. No argument there. If I was buying one it would be PS4 currently but I'd wait 6 months to see if they get sales AFTER XMAS. If they aren't selling past xmas then they are dead like wiiu. It will be evident then game devs have left just as the GDC survey shows and all moved to mobile/pc. Not one console has more than 13% interest, where mobile has 60% and PC has 40%. Great year for people who don't want a console according to DEVS :) With 40% aimed at PC, I expect this gen to produce more games on PC FIRST then ported to console if they even bother (only if sales after xmas are FAR better than wiiu). It would appear 3DS was lucky it got out early to get some numbers in the wild before the mobile gaming segment really took off (which appears to be killing wiiu and Vita sales, and even 3DS now too). It will take Vita a few years of selling at this rate to hit 40mil units 3DS has because it was so early to the party. I think Vita is already dead, with Wiiu right behind it but time will tell.

Wiiu has ~15mil so far, still not large enough for devs to really go after like 3DS with 40mil. But there is hope after MS shot xbox1:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Poor-Reception-Blasts-Wii-U-Sales-By-220-56021.html
Sales up 220%-875%...ROFL. Is MS watching this news?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Kinect-Always-Listening-55939.html
Articles like this don't help:
"Microsoft's hardware program manager John Link was asked about kinect"
""The Kinect has a variety of settings," ... "You know, it's always available to the system, so ... you can count, as an application developer or a game developer, [that] everyone's going to have a Kinect. You always have that stream available. And then, you know, there are settings, obviously, in the console to be able to change the settings of how your Kinect is used, if you're interested." … [Kinect will] "be just listening enough to know that, 'Hey, I heard something interesting. Somebody's probably trying to wake me up.' It sends it to the console for confirmation, and then it can really power up to that high-power state."

Ummm....I don't think so buddy. They say it's looking for specific cues but, with it being so easy to hack win7/8/office2010/2013 kms crap etc how hard is it for someone to change the cues? I have no intention of using kinect or like devices so would be angry about paying for one forcibly not to mention this crap in there dangerous or not to my privacy.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Selling just millions of units is a failure in this day and age. While your internet assessment is close to being correct it isn't just less than 1%. Additionally, while those homes may have internet that doesn't mean the console can even be connected as you'd need a broadband connection and a router to gain connectivity. Even if the affected share is a low number like 5% that is still a 5% sales loss and it applies a stigma to the console. On top of that what percentage of console users play used games? Take games over to a friends house to play? When you start adding up the sales losses here and there you're making a significant impact on the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.