Microsoft Says If You Don't Have Internet: Get Xbox 360, Not Xbox One

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kramyugtaht

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Help their cause? Does Microsoft even have a cause??? I suppose making money might be one, or trying to dominate the console market but...

That's what I'm saying. Even my blu-ray player and televisions are connected to the internet 24/7.

New consoles and most new infotainment/gaming tech in general is not geared toward the unconnected buyer. This is like people complaining that facebook doesn't have a paper edition.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
The point is, it should be a choice, not forced upon us. And it's not remotely akin to
your rather silly Facebook anology. As the boss at Sony rightly said, there is no
_reason_ why single-player games should require a daily check-in with MS, etc.

Utterly amazes me how little so many seem to care about these issues. It's freakin'
1984 by the back door and people are just sleep walking straight into it. Sheesh...

Ian.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's like they are discriminating against the poor. Not everyone has an internet connection. This is where it begins. They rich exclude the poor from entertainment, Next they will all be living in Microsoft City in the clouds while we, the poor languish in the garbage filled world they left behind. Elysium is closer than you think.

Greg W

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
This is by far the best advertising for PS4 that Sony could have ever hoped for.

The sad thing is that those with fewer brain cells will still impulse by this shitbox one.

If you're poor and a gaming system is among your priorities, there's the reason you're poor. Blaming someone else for your situation is a good way to perpetuate your own poverty.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012

That's my only issue I have with all of this. My nephews are Kool-Aid drinking xBox fanboys of the highest order. Unfortunately, their parents are not the best the money managers (They make plenty of money), so sometimes their DSL gets disconnected, months at a time sometimes (Rural area, long appointment lead times). They are seriously bummed out they can not upgrade to an XB1 since they know their parents and the unpredictability of their DSL.

This is Microsoft's decision to enable this, just like it was Blizzard's (Diablo 3) and EA's (SimCity 5). And just like those companies, they are going to have to deal with the consequences, because we all know this is has a high probability of not going well.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Exactly! Even though I'm in an urban area, when the cable does go down,
it can be more than a week before a maintenance visit is possible.

So, both on principle and in practical terms, what MS is doing is stupid and
unwarranted. Blows my mind anyone thinks this is acceptable. Trouble is,
just like every time certain freedoms & rights are eroded, there are those
who just don't care (thank heaven they weren't the majority in 1939), thus
making it easier for ever more draconian measures to be pushed through.
Hate to say it (because the irony is extreme), but it's in the US where much
of this erosion is taking place, measures which are then adopted by other
nations because the US is such a huge market for entertainment products.

It's as if US citizens' rights are being slow-boiled away like a frog in a pan -
bit by bit, so each change doesn't seem so bad and the majority either
accept or ignore what's happening. This time though, what MS has done
all in one go is very significant; I really hope Americans vote en masse
with their cash and buy elsewhere.

Ian.

PS. By irony I meant the fact that the US has a constitution which is well
respected worldwide for the rights it's supposed to afford its citizens. Any
non-US person who's seen all of West Wing will know what I mean.

So Microsoft has lost their mind. I mean they think the entire world has people who have access to the internet. LOL! But still they know that fags and noob kids without a life and mountains of money will buy their shit. Shame on you Microsoft.

Svend Tang

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Guys... Guys... A slip of the tongue :) ... seriously get with product instead of some unfortunate if brave comment.

I dont share many games with my friends

For us non hardcore gamers i look forward to interesting titles using kinnect hd and the one in all media/gamer box appeals to one such as me.

A great deal of the World has internet connection (asias is covered better than some eurpean countries)

The non connected gamer without online community and online gaming in some form is a dying breed .. (i say this even though i play almost no online games and if i do not very often).

So all in all i think the tech behind Xbox one is a lot better and the software (the system) not the games look a tad more mainstream and non hardcore gamer centered.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.