Microsoft: Seriously, No Xbox Hardware at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
It's getting tired, but I can easily understand Microsoft liking the idea of making a lot of money. I'm not sure if third parties are ready at this point, either.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
We know that it's codenamed Durango, and last week we heard that it would be losing the disc drive in favor of an alternative form of interchangeable solid storage.
----> Reason I couldn't care less, no optical drive is an automatic count me out. I don't care how much potential it may have, I'm not investing in something where (concerning the games) I cannot resell, buy used on the cheap, rent, or lend or borrow from a friend. It may or may not end up this way, have to wait and see, but I know Microsoft's intentions for doing this.

Dealer009

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Does it even matter? It's less powerful than current PC graphics cards like the AMD 7970, and there is no software to show it off.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Yayyy More ammunition for us PC gamers! More parts they take out from consoles more closed it become hence it will become useless and less popular! Please keep making consoles lamer and more expensive to push people back to good ol PC GAMING community! Consoles are a waste nowadays they do nothing but hold innovation back.

hobojoe58

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Very TIRED OF Xbox 360. It was Outdated by 2 years before it even came out!! The interface is AWFUL and there are but maybe 3 exclusive IPs (all sequels). Please somebody make a NEW IP WITH A NEW XBOX and SOON.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Kids....it is no longer about graphics....that's surplus , from a business perspective.
The way these consoles were made were meant for flexibilty in the addition of features....which in console terms is much much more important....

Us PC gamer's love to complain, but that's more because our machines already do all those features, and a whole lot more....so really, the only thing to look foward to is improvement in actual game development.

Consoles are more overall media centric.... so stop your whining already.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
As long as the the tech their machines have allow them to add more things....they will keep adding from a software perspective...

Times have changed from , the days where new consoles were pushed to market, solely with the promise of better hardware, more realistic gaming and graphics....it goes a lot deeper than that now.

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
The original Xbox was not around long enough(only 4 years) and the xbox 360 is supposed to go to around 8 years? I'm afraid its 512 MB of RAM will limit the size of the maps in next Call of Duty. A new Xbox should have came out back in 2010.

snapple232

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Yayyy More ammunition for us PC gamers! More parts they take out from consoles more closed it become hence it will become useless and less popular! Please keep making consoles lamer and more expensive to push people back to good ol PC GAMING community! Consoles are a waste nowadays they do nothing but hold innovation back.

I'm sorry but what a stupid and narrow-minded comment. And I say that as a lifelong PC gamer. The sooner these new consoles come out, the better the graphics will be in our PC games. Not everything in life has to be reduced to some zero-sum "us vs. them" mentality.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
No disk drive is an automatic NO BUY for me.
I personally use my PS3 as both a gaming console and Bluray movie player, if MS truly wanted to compete, they should at the very least keep a disk drive.... but NOT as an option, but as part of the console.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
i got tired of paying 60$ a year for online content and got a PS3. PS3 is a far better HDPC/entertainment unit and i don't continue to get nickel and dimed by sony like MS did.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I only play games that have single/split screen multi or games that don't compliment keyboard and mouse, this is pretty much fighting and racing games, other than that, it's PC.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kevinmcg[/nom]Yeah it outsells other devices because they red ring every 2 years.[/citation]
i boutght 3 of them, all because of read rings and general crapy construction...
its the exclusives that i want the thing for... but this time.. if it fails, im going to wait on emulators.

-------------------------
yay, now here is where i get the downvotes from...

real gamers dont care about graphics, i seriously do not care what any of you have to say, and especialy not the people who complain they they dropped 2 grand on a quad sli and nothing runs like crap on it.

most of us want better game play,
most of us want better sorry,
most of us want music to be good
most of us want more then 2 sound effects for running
but the most vocal of us complain that their 5000$ computer isnt being pushed to the point that you cant play the game...

look at crysis 1 and crysis 2, the graphics engines, crysis one was such a crappilly optimized engine that it took years before it was a viable gaming experience on the high end, yet when the game was ported to a better optimized engine, it was suddenly playable on the consoles.

i for one LOVE that the consoles hold graphics back, it forces developers to better optimize their engines, it forces them to make better gameplay to compensate for poorer graphics, or god forbid, better ai.

now downvote me for shoveing truth in your faces,

lets not forget that with better graphics, comes higher costs, but im sure people who complain that their pc can play any game out there care that new games will cost more because they cant live without a game that brings their systems to a crawl.

dudemcduderson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i boutght 3 of them, all because of read rings and general crapy construction...its the exclusives that i want the thing for... but this time.. if it fails, im going to wait on emulators. -------------------------yay, now here is where i get the downvotes from...real gamers dont care about graphics, i seriously do not care what any of you have to say, and especialy not the people who complain they they dropped 2 grand on a quad sli and nothing runs like crap on it. most of us want better game play,most of us want better sorry, most of us want music to be goodmost of us want more then 2 sound effects for runningbut the most vocal of us complain that their 5000$ computer isnt being pushed to the point that you cant play the game...look at crysis 1 and crysis 2, the graphics engines, crysis one was such a crappilly optimized engine that it took years before it was a viable gaming experience on the high end, yet when the game was ported to a better optimized engine, it was suddenly playable on the consoles. i for one LOVE that the consoles hold graphics back, it forces developers to better optimize their engines, it forces them to make better gameplay to compensate for poorer graphics, or god forbid, better ai. now downvote me for shoveing truth in your faces, lets not forget that with better graphics, comes higher costs, but im sure people who complain that their pc can play any game out there care that new games will cost more because they cant live without a game that brings their systems to a crawl.[/citation]

I could not disagree more, I believe that REAL gamers should and DO care about good graphics. Are you suggesting that you would be okay with N64 graphics to this day so long as all the good games still came out? If so then you are lying to us and yourself (a lot of those games ran at a native 360p res btw, look it up).

In regards to your comment "most of us want better sorry", I DO agree with this because my old Sorry board game is crap. They could make it better with more colored pieces to choose from you know?

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom][/citation]

Yeah, I fully agree with this. For me, the horsepower you need to play the game is secondary to whether or not it's even worth playing in the first place. A crap game with great graphics is just a tech demo.

You didn't have to come off like a prick, though. "Downvote me for shoving the truth in your faces"? Seriously?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
A decade long refresh schedule, unbelievable.

If Toyota or Intel did the same thing, they would've been ridiculously out-competed. Not many folks are interested in buying Pentium 3 or 4 CPUs when Sandy Bridge blows them out of the water in every category, except for the quickness of frying eggs.

Uber nobody

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Graphics are not everything, but more processing power is always a good thing. More processing power allows for more things than just graphics. AI, for instance, is a cpu bound task that eats up a lot of cycles. Throw more processing power at it, and developers can increase the accuracy of AI and allow for more AI to be active at 1 time. Example: Shogun 2: Total War. This game uses a crap ton of CPU horsepower for it's hundreds of soldiers running and fighting all at the same time. The other benefit of more power under the hood is the addition of innovative game-play mechanics. Example: physics based puzzle games. Were these feasible 10+ years ago? Heck no. More processing power gave birth to that sub genre. Now you may say "I don't care about those genres of games", but who knows what game-play mechanics are not feasible yet due to the limitations of current hardware.

To sum up: MORE HORSEPOWER = MORE GAME-PLAY OPPORTUNITIES.
Stop saying we don't need more powerful consoles, because with more power comes greater fidelity AND greater opportunities.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Sad, already outdated hardware and its not even close to being out yet lol. By the time it is my 2 x GTX 680s 4Gb versions in SLI will be matured and 2 x 256GB SSD drives will be humming along with Windows 8 64bit Ultimate on DX12 graphics at 2560 x 1600, and I'm not exaggerating.[/citation]
Too bad you won't be getting DX12 until at least 2014/2015..... Windows8 will have DX11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.