Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]JohnUSA[/nom]I forgot to mention that I really do hate this ugly new logo.[/citation]

I hope they didn't pay someone to basically take the windows 1.0 logo then just skew it and add new text...

The windows 7 logo was the best one so far in my opinion, it is simple and instantly recognizable as a windows OS.

The new windows 8 logo looks like the crusades flag where armies of brainwashed people headed into neighboring cities in order to kill the men and rape and pillage the women and children.
(may actually be microsofts intension especially since they basically attempted to modernize windows ME)

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Its a great logo that allows them to display it as ANY color and still be very recognizable. It also goes perfectly with their Metro theme. Sorry folks but gradients are out for big name logos because they aren't as versatile as solid colors.

G

Does it mean I will have to change my keyboard to have the new Windows key working in 8?

G

They first called it Windows because it had... Windows... Now the Windows name stands on it's own as a Microsoft brand, and nobody thinks of it as "that computer operating system that has *gasp* windows...", therefore we don't need a visual to remind us of, windows.

This really showcases the utter lack of soul and creativity at Microsoft. They could make it look like anything they want now, even hired a reknowned artist to make a beautiful original logo, but instead they let Steve Balmer's 10 y/o son make the logo in 5 minutes with MS Paint.

Heck, I'll admit that my only graphics design skill is photoshopping people's heads onto different bodies, but even I could've came up with that logo, or quite possibly even a better one.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
1: its ugly as hell
2: where's win 95 and me
3: win 98 was a pice of s... till se came out, and still os r2 was better in a lot of things
4: i have a horrible feeling about this new windows and the lack of drivers it will bring
5: i totaly agree with the guy saying that they are breaking working stuff.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Mercedes Star....3 points in a circle for 100+ yearsBMW Logo white and BlueFord.... F O R DMicrocrap changes Logo -yet again- and this is worth a 2nd article?Slow new day I guess ?[/citation]''

maybe if you own a run down 30 year old truck thats what a ford logo looks like

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I agree with one of the posts above. The majority of the population instantly recognizes the Windows logo. All they have done are minor tweaks to make it look more modern but still keep the same general look so the population knows what Windows looks like. Now not only is it ugly, but now the population of computer idiots (The majority of the population) won't realize what this is.

I detested metro when I first realized that they were bringing it to the desktop version of Windows 8 and now I detest it even more with the 'unveiling' of the logo. I don't get why metro isn't just on the tablet version, its ugly and doesn't really keep with the desktop profile. Keep Windows what it has been for 20 years or you will have a lot of confused and disappointed costumers!!

Maybe when they release the Beta, they will get enough complaints that they will remove it from the final release on the desktop version (Not likely). Until Metro goes away, or proves to me that its a viable alternative to what it has been for over 20 years (Again not likely, but ill try the Beta), I will stick with 7.

I wish the US car industry would switch to a 'numbers' approach to naming various models. All the manufacturers inside and out of the States is running out of cool names, and some are using some rather ridiculous names as well. Hopefully Microsoft keeps it simple. Windows 8 is Windows 8. I think numbers work best because they're not "trendy" like some names, and don't really date the product like a '98' or 'ME' or some trendy word that sounds cool right now.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I actually enjoyed the Preview when I had it on my machine. It was fast and if you get use to the tiles and how to switch between the desktop and the tiles you navigate through stuff really quickly. It actually seemed to speed up my interaction with the PC. Took a second to get used to it though but I am looking forward to Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.