Microsoft Unveils a Brand New Windows Logo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Mercedes Star....3 points in a circle for 100+ yearsBMW Logo white and BlueFord.... F O R DMicrocrap changes Logo -yet again- and this is worth a 2nd article?Slow new day I guess ?[/citation]

Well for starters, its Saturday. Not quite a full on news day in the tech world. Secondly, all of your examples have changed in their history. Some were minor, others were major. Ford didn't get the Ford in an oval until 1912 and it wasn't even a blue oval with white letters until 1927.

Merceded didn't get what you are talking about until very recently.

Just for proofs:

http://www.instantshift.com/2009/01/29/20-corporate-brand-logo-evolution/

Brand logos change all the time. While I may not like the new logo, I can understand the reason why. This is a major change for Windows. It will allow much more than even 7 in terms of devices. Its almost like a restart.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]builder4[/nom]I have a feeling this design will look extremely dated in only a couple of years. This fad of requiring simplicity and clean lines won't last forever.[/citation]
Yes, instead they should make everything as convoluted and haphazard as humanly possible. Builder4 you're a GENIUS![citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Brand logos change all the time. While I may not like the new logo, I can understand the reason why. This is a major change for Windows. It will allow much more than even 7 in terms of devices. Its almost like a restart.[/citation]Bingo. They're looking ahead, they know they need to get Windows on as many devices as possible, working with touch natively better than ever, and running on ARM devices. This is new ground for a full blown Windows OS. They need a similar Windows experience across devices, too, hence Metro. I know it will take some getting used to Metro. I don't plan to use Metro exclusively by any means, but if I get a Win8 tablet I think i'll appreciate it a lot more.[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]I actually enjoyed the Preview when I had it on my machine. It was fast and if you get use to the tiles and how to switch between the desktop and the tiles you navigate through stuff really quickly. It actually seemed to speed up my interaction with the PC. Took a second to get used to it though.[/citation]Congrats you've been downrated by people who never even gave it a proper chance, heck they probably haven't even used it.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm running windows 8 on my Inspiron 1525 laptop and I like it. I wish it was simpler to shut it down vs putting it to sleep, but as long as it wakes up correctly, which it does, then I guess it's OK. It's very stable, but I'm guess that's because it's really windows 7 with a shell added on.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I see this logo as being the catalyst behind the rise of a good, user friendly, Linux dispo....maybe android for PC.

I also see Windows 8 and webOS sharing a fate.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I can just imagine the assembly at Microsoft when this was 1st unveiled.

It was probably something like when I was at Corel, and the logo changed from the "square block" "C" to the Jason hockey mask "creative soul".

There was a series of inspiring propaganda for the assembly and everyone was psyched... then the new logo appeared and everyone stood up and cheered before taking it all in. Then when it registered, everyone was still clapping because it was what you were supposed to do, but suddenly started looking around at each other with a look of horror on their faces.

It was pretty surreal.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Oh look, its just like the simplistic design of facebook/twitter, even similar color scheme. I like the concept of going back to an actual window, but please dont be so heavily influenced by social media that you copy THAT much of them.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, the UI design team has just been going down hill with this version. At least there are programs available to skin the UI to something decent.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Well for starters, its Saturday. Not quite a full on news day in the tech world. Secondly, all of your examples have changed in their history. Some were minor, others were major. Ford didn't get the Ford in an oval until 1912 and it wasn't even a blue oval with white letters until 1927.Merceded didn't get what you are talking about until very recently.Just for proofs:http://www.instantshift.com/2009/0 [...] evolution/Brand logos change all the time. While I may not like the new logo, I can understand the reason why. This is a major change for Windows. It will allow much more than even 7 in terms of devices. Its almost like a restart.[/citation]
My Avira Internet Security warns me about the web page link u provide. Says the page tries to install malware. Just a heads up so that u and others scan your computers imo. No offense

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So they took the Windows 1.0 logo and put some perspective on it. It lacked finesse then, and somehow it lost more than finesse now.

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
"the Windows logo we've all come to know and love"

Now, there's no arguing that it's well known, nor that I prefer it over Apple's, but Windows has more than enough flaws that I would agree with the second part of that sentence : P

Status
Not open for further replies.