[SOLVED] Might have to move cpu cooler to add more ram... thermal paste?

Jul 28, 2019
So i just bought some new corsair vengeance ram off amazon and realised to my horror that my dimm slot is located tightly next to the cpu cooler. (Default cooler ryzen 7 1700)
I might have to remove the cooler to add the ram unless i can squeeze it in, hard to tell without it present. If i do have to lift the cooler slightly or remove it, will i have to reapply thermal paste?

Solution
if your CPU cooler is right next to the RAM slot, but doesn't overlap it so that the RAM stick will actually fit there with the cooler next to it, then if your RAM has a heat spreader on it, you can just slide it in right against the cooler without taking the cooler off.

But don't bother taking the cooler off and putting the stick in if the cooler overlaps on the RAM slot to begin with because then the cooler won't go back on anymore because the RAM will be in the way.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if your CPU cooler is right next to the RAM slot, but doesn't overlap it so that the RAM stick will actually fit there with the cooler next to it, then if your RAM has a heat spreader on it, you can just slide it in right against the cooler without taking the cooler off.

But don't bother taking the cooler off and putting the stick in if the cooler overlaps on the RAM slot to begin with because then the cooler won't go back on anymore because the RAM will be in the way.

Solution

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Probably. You can make air bubbles in the thermal paste if you try to reapply it again and that's not what you want. Clean it, remove any sticking thermal paste and reapply. After you put in the ram stick ofc lol