franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello all,

I'm thinking about switching from ATX / Micro ATX to ITX since it suits my needs better. I've found myself having to move frequently between to places and decided, instead of settling on a gaming laptop or anything else, slapping my PC in a suitcase basically. It worked when I moved and I removed the GPU, Ram and Cooler so nothing would bounce around basically and wrapping it tightly around clothes so as to protect it as best as possible.

Since I'm going to be moving alot between two locations, and each time I move I'm probably staying for 2+ Months or so, I thought switching it up over to a mini ITX would be the best.

Question arises, how do I best go about this regarding cooling, airflow, cable management and transport?

My current setup is a standard sized tower and motherboard, rocking an i7 - 7700 and RX 580 from Gigabyte with the dual open fans and a semi modular Corsair CX550M power supply.

Which case would you best recommend me for portability? I was looking at an h210 since its basically my current NZXT Tower, but in mini format. However I've heard bad stuff about that case regarding airflow. Changing CPU is not an option for me, since it would be too out of budget for this project. I've already seen quite a few mini ITX motherboards with a compatible chipset and NVME support (my bootdrive) which I can acquire.

So, that leaves unanswered, which case would you best recommend me? And which cooler? I'm using a Hyper 212x right now. Maybe a low profile one? What about the Power supply? Best switch it out for an SFX one and completely modularized due to small space and better cable management?

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
First off need a budget. Need your full current system specs listed out, as well. Use PCPP to make a list of your current setup.

Budget probably around 200, unsure what NZXT Tower I have, I believe it is an H510 if im not mistaken.

I've found quite a couple motherboards with a compatible chipset for gen 7s and with nvme slots for around 80 - 120, leaving the rest for a new case assuming no cooler and PSU change are needed.

RX 580 dual fan (Stating this due to cooling and size)
i7 7700
cx550m power supply
h270 pro4 motherboard (Had to switch out my old b250 krait due to ramstick dying)
some nvme 2.0 SSD as boot drive
WD Green 1TB
CM 212x Cooler

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lian Li (I am pretty sure) makes an ITX case with a handle and is well reviewed. I would still consider removal of, or perhaps "making" a support out of shipping 'foam in a bag' such that the GPU is supported while the system is under way.

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Lian Li (I am pretty sure) makes an ITX case with a handle and is well reviewed. I would still consider removal of, or perhaps "making" a support out of shipping 'foam in a bag' such that the GPU is supported while the system is under way.

Right, I usually remove the GPU and Cooler and pack them in separate anti static bags when I move. So you're recommending the TU150 from Lian Li with handle? Plenty of cases have that gimmick, though no clue on how useful they might be. I'll look more into it, but a handle isn't a must. I was looking into the node 202 as an ultra compact one.

What about the power supply situation? Would you advise changing the PSU and going full SFX and modular ? Same for the cooler seeing as it is a thiccboy and all.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Right, I usually remove the GPU and Cooler and pack them in separate anti static bags when I move. So you're recommending the TU150 from Lian Li with handle? Plenty of cases have that gimmick, though no clue on how useful they might be. I'll look more into it, but a handle isn't a must. I was looking into the node 202 as an ultra compact one.

What about the power supply situation? Would you advise changing the PSU and going full SFX and modular ? Same for the cooler seeing as it is a thiccboy and all.

The advantage to going modular with an ITX system is the ability not to have to have all the extra cabling taking up space within the case. If the PSU you already have works properly for the system, and you have experience with builds and wire management I wouldn't say you "have to". Only a convenience.

I am not sure that the 212 cooler is a heavy enough part to be concerned with when considering having to unfasten, paste/repaste and so forth. The fan is the heavier aspect anyway, so take what you will from that.

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
The advantage to going modular with an ITX system is the ability not to have to have all the extra cabling taking up space within the case. If the PSU you already have works properly for the system, and you have experience with builds and wire management I wouldn't say you "have to". Only a convenience.

I am not sure that the 212 cooler is a heavy enough part to be concerned with when considering having to unfasten, paste/repaste and so forth. The fan is the heavier aspect anyway, so take what you will from that.

Right, the cooler is god awfully old but gets the job done anyways, was thinking of going low profile or getting another cooler as an upgrade since lower temperatures are always nice. So many options for a case, the node 202 seems to be designed for blower fans so my open card wouldn't get along. I was also looking into the tower 100, but I'd
doubt that would fit in a suitcase due to the design.

EDIT: The P-ATX or N-ATX also seems like a viable option for a super compact case, but the airflow... and cablemanagement especially there must be all hell.

Last edited: