N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Hello everyone, having new problem to me here.

1. Installed Windows 10 on a laptop, 2 main partitions on 500gb HDD, C: System (180gb) and D: Data (320gb).
  2. Removed its internal HDD and connect it to PC (also Win 10) by HDD Docking Station, USB 3.0.
  3. Copied some files and folder (size around 200gb) to Partition "Data" (320gb).
  4. Done, removing the HDD and put it on laptop as it used to be.
  5. Entering desktop on laptop, opening File Explorer, no files and folders on Partition D: Data, but it takes space and showing 120gb free.

Assuming the files are there but not shown.
I googled and tried unhiding the files, by Folder Option, Showing System Files, CMD, removing hidden attributes, all in vain. Just Recycle Bin and System Information folders shown.
I also read some same question here but not exactly the same case.
I hope I don't have to show Disk Management on the laptop.

Thanks before.

ps. the files size and the capacity of the drive are not exactly as I write, I just want to simplify it.

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
run a disk check using chkdisk with "fix" options enabled.
googling will lead you to microsoft's instructions for scanning and correcting disk issues.
Thanks for your reply. I did as you said. The partition is now not taking any space which I assume that the files are nowhere. So I tried to copy the files by LAN, PC to laptop overnight and it's done good. I'm still don't know what made it failed by copying through docking station, because it usually worked.

I prefer copying by docking because it can transfer up to 40MB/s (laptop HDD on docking) while by LAN it's just 11MB/s (the laptop has only fast ethernet port)

But thanks anyway. Any thought or opinion from the other members are always welcomed.