Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
Hard Drive.

Here is the story, Folks.

1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.

2. Rebooted.

3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.

4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
because of the errors.

5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.

6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".

At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.

Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.

I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
corrupted and unreadable".

Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.

Thank you,
James

I think that your IDE controller driver was updated by the patch, and that
is your problem. Try booting with the Last Known Good profile.

If that fails, boot from the recovery console, and troll the SP uninstall
folders for the .sys file that was overwritten. Then, copy that file back to
windows\system32\drivers and try to boot again.

- NuiTs

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
> another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
> the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
> need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> James

Oh .. NTLDR missing is something else entirely

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
> Hard Drive.
>
> Here is the story, Folks.
>
> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>
> 2. Rebooted.
>
> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>
> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
> because of the errors.
>
> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>
> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>

> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>
> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>
> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
> another
> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
> the
> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
> corrupted and unreadable".
>

> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
> need
> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>
> Thank you,
> James

You have lost your bootsector

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> Oh .. NTLDR missing is something else entirely
>
> "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
>> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1,
>> NTFS
>> Hard Drive.
>>
>> Here is the story, Folks.
>>
>> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
>>
>> 2. Rebooted.
>>
>> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
>> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
>>
>> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
>> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message
>> saying
>> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
>> rebuild
>> because of the errors.
>>
>> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
>>
>> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
>>

>> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
>> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
>> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.
>>
>> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
>>
>> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
>> another
>> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of
>> the
>> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory
>> is
>> corrupted and unreadable".
>>

>> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
>> need
>> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.
What do your recommend as the best way to fix the bootsector?

Thanks,
James

> You have lost your bootsector
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > Oh .. NTLDR missing is something else entirely
> >
> > "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> >> The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1,
> >> NTFS
> >> Hard Drive.
> >>
> >> Here is the story, Folks.
> >>
> >> 1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.
> >>
> >> 2. Rebooted.
> >>
> >> 3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
> >> damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.
> >>
> >> 4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
> >> bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message
> >> saying
> >> that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg /
> >> rebuild
> >> because of the errors.
> >>
> >> 5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.
> >>
> >> 6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".
> >>

> >> At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have
copied
> >> both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the
recovery
> >> console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery
console.

> >> Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.
> >>
> >> I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in
> >> another
> >> Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off
of
> >> the
> >> drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory
> >> is
> >> corrupted and unreadable".
> >>

> >> Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I
> >> need
> >> access to ASAP. Please email me directly at pctech@fdn.com if possible.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> James

Try starting here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

- NuTs

> Hi,
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> What do your recommend as the best way to fix the bootsector?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> You have lost your bootsector
>>
>> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> > Oh .. NTLDR missing is something else entirely
>> >
>> > "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message

> copied
> recovery
> console.

> of

Hi!

> every disk I have ever seen (that supports it) has write caching turned
off
> by default.

Do a fresh install of Win2000 or XP on a "standard" IDE controller and take
a look at the hard disk in Device Manager. Some chipsets/controllers disable
the write caching option and leave you no choice in the matter. Some boards
based on nVidia chipsets seem to do this once the right INF files are loaded
for chipset support. For certain, most Intel chipsets/onboard IDE do allow
the setting to be enabled...and it will be enabled right out of the box for
at least these two operating systems.

In the "Gold" (RTM) release and at least one of the Service Packs issued for
Windows 2000, the write caching could *not* be disabled reliably or at all
by unchecking that box if your disk controller supported it.

> The the OP's first post, and you will see the error in your thinking.

I'm not sure what you want to me to do here. (Double check what you wrote.)
I reread the post and studied it again though. Everything I see there is
what I've seen almost any other time this has happened and I stand by what I
said the first time.

William

Hi!

If the setting is greyed out, you may be unable to change it, and I don't
know of any good way to determine if, in fact the write cache is actually
on. I do believe that even when greyed out that Windows generally displays
the actual setting. (I have, however, found that there are times when this
is not the case.)

Here's what my Dimension 8300 (P4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, Windows 2000 Pro SP4)
presents for options on its write caching. I have the Intel Chipset INF
files installed.
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/write-cache-off.jpg (81KB)

Oddly enough I cannot disable the write cache on my Zip drive, but I don't
think it makes a difference there. No matter how I try the setting just pops
right back on.

Underneath the two "radio button" options is there a checkbox for "Enable
write caching on the disk". Is it greyed out as well?

William