Lots of used and surplus equipment on sale cheap, or even FREE!
So, some is from schools, and/or Counties; others from Rental centers.
Getting lots of older PIII 450 to 550Mhz desktops, and towers, for $35
to $55, each, and, the pallets often bid out at around $200 to $300 in
Florida.

Many have only 27 Control Panel Icons, and are missing the 'System' with
'Device Manager', 'modem'.

Wanting to add devices, on USB, external drives, or, etc., some are
seemingly locked-out. Would anyone have an idea of a way to load the
Control Panel System, Device Mgr.?

Yes, we have the licensed WinME, but, we do NOT desire to fully re-load
WinME, as we do NOT have all the drivers! This has popped up twice in
the past six months, so it is a rare, but, recurring problem.

"Patrick" <pberry26> wrote in message
> Lots of used and surplus equipment on sale cheap, or even FREE!
> So, some is from schools, and/or Counties; others from Rental centers.
> Getting lots of older PIII 450 to 550Mhz desktops, and towers, for $35
> to $55, each, and, the pallets often bid out at around $200 to $300 in
> Florida.
>
> Many have only 27 Control Panel Icons, and are missing the 'System' with
> 'Device Manager', 'modem'.
>
> Wanting to add devices, on USB, external drives, or, etc., some are
> seemingly locked-out. Would anyone have an idea of a way to load the
> Control Panel System, Device Mgr.?
>
> Yes, we have the licensed WinME, but, we do NOT desire to fully re-load
> WinME, as we do NOT have all the drivers! This has popped up twice in
> the past six months, so it is a rare, but, recurring problem.

tweakui

It's a program that you must install manually from the windows install
cd-rom. I don't remember if it's on the winme cd-rom, BUT it does work with
winme. And, you can install tweakui from the windows98 install cd-rom onto
winme (after getting the message that installing is disabled, explore the
disk, because you have to install it manually anyway). If you can't find a
copy, you can probably download it straight from Microsoft.

It's a program that allows you to "tweak" many settings of those consumer
grade Microsoft operating systems. Among the many settings is to show or
not show various control panel icons.

I'm guessing someone probably hacked the registry of a few of your machines
deliberately so that multiple users would not be messing with the hardware
settings. (smart) But before you go that route, try tweakui, as it will be
easier and safer, and will probably work. -Dave

Dave C. wrote:
> "Patrick" <pberry26> wrote in message
>
>>Lots of used and surplus equipment on sale cheap, or even FREE!
>>So, some is from schools, and/or Counties; others from Rental centers.
>>Getting lots of older PIII 450 to 550Mhz desktops, and towers, for $35
>>to $55, each, and, the pallets often bid out at around $200 to $300 in
>>Florida.
>>
>>Many have only 27 Control Panel Icons, and are missing the 'System' with
>>'Device Manager', 'modem'.
>>
>>Wanting to add devices, on USB, external drives, or, etc., some are
>>seemingly locked-out. Would anyone have an idea of a way to load the
>>Control Panel System, Device Mgr.?
>>
>>Yes, we have the licensed WinME, but, we do NOT desire to fully re-load
>>WinME, as we do NOT have all the drivers! This has popped up twice in
>>the past six months, so it is a rare, but, recurring problem.
>>

> tweakui
>
> It's a program that you must install manually from the windows install
> cd-rom. I don't remember if it's on the winme cd-rom, BUT it does work with
> winme. And, you can install tweakui from the windows98 install cd-rom onto
> winme (after getting the message that installing is disabled, explore the
> disk, because you have to install it manually anyway). If you can't find a
> copy, you can probably download it straight from Microsoft.
>
> It's a program that allows you to "tweak" many settings of those consumer
> grade Microsoft operating systems. Among the many settings is to show or
> not show various control panel icons.
>
> I'm guessing someone probably hacked the registry of a few of your machines
> deliberately so that multiple users would not be messing with the hardware
> settings. (smart) But before you go that route, try tweakui, as it will be
> easier and safer, and will probably work. -Dave

You're correct in that rental stores, and some schools, and even some
governments, like to take away the User's options to 'modify' or
accidently delete any hardware drivers.

The problem for the new owners, is that it is almost impossible to load
any NEW hardware upgrades! Have Broadband, and lots of Linux computers,
and have MS tweakui, thanks!

Want to get the 'System, Device Manger' and icons, plus, the 'Modem'
device and it's Icon, back into the Control Panel. Yes, it would be
nice to find out the CAB that has the Control Panel so we can re-install
ONLY that without disturbing all the rest of the install, and all those
drivers!