Question Mixed/bad network performance

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I dont know if this is right thread but I will explain everything:

I am using "home package" as my ISP descirbes it,its basically router with sim card that you can plug anywhere and have internet,so its not cable or optic.
Its 4G so I *could* get unlimited speed for 4G.PC is connected to router by cable.This is where problems are:

Download speed is atrocious.Steam for example sometimes stay low all time and sometimes it always start from 2MBs and slowly ramp up to 14MBs (that the speed it should be).
Epic games works fine nearly every time with max download speed.I called ISP but they say signal here is as good as it can be,they dont block or restrict anything and generally dont know
how to help me because "everything is working on their end".

I tried to sit this out and wait for problem to maybe solve itself but I just cant stand it anymore.I already reset network drivers and properties,tried many settings and disabling firewall,
reinstalled steam and bunch of other things I read online.

I need to mention that,I dont know if ookla speed test is to be anything to look at,but even when its showing me good download speed,for eg 70Mbps or even max speed at 110Mbps
my downloads are still around 2MBs .I am clueless.
I will provide any info you need.
Windows 11 latest build
i5 12500
Aorus b660 gaming x
16GB 3200mhz trident z
rtx 3070
xpg s40g

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Who is your ISP?

Make and model router? For many networks there are two devices: a modem and a router. However they can be combined into one device - i.e., a "modem/router"?

Do you own the device(s) or are they ISP provided as a rental device?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results here.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype it all.

Objective being to learn more about the network hardware and current configuration settings.

Hopefully just some misconfiguration that can be corrected.

Put the router in a windows. Try to figure out which side of the house the cell tower is on. You want as much signal as you get get.

Cell network internet companies seem to tell bigger lies about internet speeds that cable type vendors.

The load is extremely dynamic as cars drive by going on and off the cell tower you are using. The total load can change drastically from second to second. In addtion there is much less total bandwidth on a cell tower than a physical internet connection so it takes fewer people using bandwidth to use up all the capacity.

In the end there is nothing you can set or change on your pc. Everything is outside your control in the mobile network.

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Who is your ISP?

Make and model router? For many networks there are two devices: a modem and a router. However they can be combined into one device - i.e., a "modem/router"?

Do you own the device(s) or are they ISP provided as a rental device?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results here.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype it all.

Objective being to learn more about the network hardware and current configuration settings.

Hopefully just some misconfiguration that can be corrected.
ISP is A1 in Serbia,but I think they're in Austria.

Huawei 4G CPE 3 is device name,I dont know if its modem or router,but thats only thing I have and its provided from ISP.It will stay with me after deal is over.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MarkoPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Unknown adapter Wintun:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PolarBear Tunnel
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5E-D3-95-98-0E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd22:191a:8b2e:7100:e6a3:7bcb:a464:ef16(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd22:191a:8b2e:7100:edf3:bfdb:bf6c:9856(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::45af:4165:e945:5039%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : (Should i post even this lol)(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : petak, 15. decembar 2023. 20:23:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : utorak, 19. decembar 2023. 19:23:52
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114843347
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2C-A9-1E-5E-D8-5E-D3-95-98-0E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::2019:1aff:fe8b:2e71%9
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-00-27-00-00-05
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a2:3d7:e8d3:e73e%5(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 571080743
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TunnelBear Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-F8-78-A0-8A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:284a:364:1405:bb3c:4387:9c1a(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1405:bb3c:4387:9c1a%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201326592
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I hope this info will help you,I will provide everything else.
And apart from standard/basic troubleshooting I dont have any deeper knowledge about networking ;/

Ralston18

Titan
First, regarding IPv4 IP addresses: Thousands of networks use identical "private" IP address ranges.

My network is 192.168.1.1 (router IP address). My PC is currently assigned IPv4 DHCP address of 192.168.1.201. First address within the DHCP IP address range that I configured. Limited to 12 devices.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...thin a specific,is used for the communication.

What you do not want to give out is the public IP address your ISP provides to your router. You can find that address via "What is my IP". Some people are also concerned about MACs. However knowing MACs can be helpful with respect to identifying and troubleshooting devices.

Second: Disable IPv6.

Third: Change the DNS servers to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Fourth: Do you have admin rights to the router (more likely a modem/router if only one device)? For example if you type 192.168.8.1 (Default Gateway) into your browser window are you able to login and access the router's admin menus?

Reactions: markobogdanovic476
Your IP is a private IP on the 192.168.8.x network so it doesn't matter if you hide it. In addition most mobile broadband connection do not even give your router a public IP. You share the public IP with many other users of the ISP.

So I was typing this and ralston18 has my first recommendation. IPv6 causes strange issues for some people and maybe you get lucky.

A couple other strange things I see.

Do you actually use the vpn. I would uninstall tunnel bear if you can. VPN software sometime even after it says you uninstalled it can cause issues. I had to reinstall windows so I run vpn on a router now.

I am not sure if virtualbox is going to cause a issue or not. Mostly it would be if you were running something inside it. I would at least try to uninstall it temporary just to see if the problem goes away.

I suspect none of this is going to matter, I still think the problem is in the ISP network. Mobile broadband networks have such poor performance......then again they are designed for mobile users using small device like phones not a device that is going to download large amounts of data.

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
First, regarding IPv4 IP addresses: Thousands of networks use identical "private" IP address ranges.

My network is 192.168.1.1 (router IP address). My PC is currently assigned IPv4 DHCP address of 192.168.1.201. First address within the DHCP IP address range that I configured. Limited to 12 devices.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970#:~:text=The hardware within a specific,is used for the communication.

What you do not want to give out is the public IP address your ISP provides to your router. You can find that address via "What is my IP". Some people are also concerned about MACs. However knowing MACs can be helpful with respect to identifying and troubleshooting devices.

Second: Disable IPv6.

Third: Change the DNS servers to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Fourth: Do you have admin rights to the router (more likely a modem/router if only one device)? For example if you type 192.168.8.1 (Default Gateway) into your browser window are you able to login and access the router's admin menus?
No need to stone me for not knowing everything about privacy of IP address 😭
Yes,I have admin rights

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Your IP is a private IP on the 192.168.8.x network so it doesn't matter if you hide it. In addition most mobile broadband connection do not even give your router a public IP. You share the public IP with many other users of the ISP.

So I was typing this and ralston18 has my first recommendation. IPv6 causes strange issues for some people and maybe you get lucky.

A couple other strange things I see.

Do you actually use the vpn. I would uninstall tunnel bear if you can. VPN software sometime even after it says you uninstalled it can cause issues. I had to reinstall windows so I run vpn on a router now.

I am not sure if virtualbox is going to cause a issue or not. Mostly it would be if you were running something inside it. I would at least try to uninstall it temporary just to see if the problem goes away.

I suspect none of this is going to matter, I still think the problem is in the ISP network. Mobile broadband networks have such poor performance......then again they are designed for mobile users using small device like phones not a device that is going to download large amounts of data.
I dont use VPN, I will uninstall it as you say.

I cannot uninstall VM because I need it,I just cant go over setting it up again but I need to mention something important:

Before this ISP package I had previous one,with same supposedly unlimited 4G speed from same ISP,
the only difference is they gave me this time newest router/modem I specified above that should be able to
allow faster speeds and it really does.
I had previous deal and router for 2years and it was fine all the time,running at max download speed about 5MBs.

I didnt change my PC,programs components or anything,I just plugged new router with new sim card and thats it.

Ralston18

Titan
No intention to "stone".

When it comes to "Public" vs "Private" IP addressing the terminology is often intrepreted backwards. For both native English speakers and for those who are not.

As for the router - log in as admin and check the logs (if available and enabled).

If logs are available but not enabled then enable and collect a few entries when performance falters.

Make and model modem/router: original and new?

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
No intention to "stone".

When it comes to "Public" vs "Private" IP addressing the terminology is often intrepreted backwards. For both native English speakers and for those who are not.

As for the router - log in as admin and check the logs (if available and enabled).

If logs are available but not enabled then enable and collect a few entries when performance falters.

Make and model modem/router: original and new?
I dont have logs as option at all , and also device is brand new and original.

There is nothing ISP could recommend me except to lock device to 4G only signal.

Also I did everything you said,and problem is maybe solved as steam download is as ookla is showing.
I just dont know why download has to ramp up from 2MBs to its normal speed,like car going from 0 to 60

Ralston18

Titan
The "ramp up" is part of the process.

There can be any number of devices involved along the communications path.

Each device must go through a "handshake" process where it and some other device(s) agree on communication protocols ("rules") and speeds that both devices can work with. Then they start exchanging data packets accordingly.

That holds for incoming traffic and the corresponding outgoing traffic for any given device.

And remember that data travels in packets and any given set of data may take different routes while in progress. So some time is required to perhaps reassemble the packets in the proper order.

And any breakdown along the path, for whatever reasons (weather, heavy traffic, dug up wire), requires the process to start over again.... All the more so if a new path needs to be established.

Think of it as trying to drive through a long city main street with lots of stoplights at crossover streets. Unlikely that you will get to go from 0 to 60 to travel the entire length. If lucky you end up going a smooth non-stop 25 even though the speed limit may be 35.

You can get a sense of it all by using "ping", "pathping", and 'tracert" via the Command Prompt.

Keyword = hops.

Target Google servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

FYI:

https://www.okta.com/uk/identity-101/ping-trace/#:~:text=The PING test can identify,to connect to the network.

You can easily find other similar links with more information and detail.