Q: With a wireless router that can support WEP 64, WEP 128 and WPA,
and a mix of WEP 64, WEP 128 and WPA clients, what will be the
concurrently supported security mechanism(s) for the network?

- WPA AND WEP 64 AND WEP 128
- WPA AND (WEP 64 OR WEP 128)
- WPA OR WEP 64 OR WEP 128
- ???

On 11 Sep 2004 23:53:59 GMT, Frank le Spikkin <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote:

>Q: With a wireless router that can support WEP 64, WEP 128 and WPA,
>and a mix of WEP 64, WEP 128 and WPA clients, what will be the
>concurrently supported security mechanism(s) for the network?
>
>- WPA AND WEP 64 AND WEP 128
>- WPA AND (WEP 64 OR WEP 128)
>- WPA OR WEP 64 OR WEP 128
>- ???

The encryption is whatever you have the wireless access point (router)
configured to provide. In the access point, WEP and WPA are mutually
exclusive. It's one or the other, not both. Therefore, it's #3
WPA OR WEP 64 OR WEP 128

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in

> On 11 Sep 2004 23:53:59 GMT, Frank le Spikkin <zaq@invalid.jp>
> wrote:
>
>>Q: With a wireless router that can support WEP 64, WEP 128 and
>>WPA, and a mix of WEP 64, WEP 128 and WPA clients, what will be
>>the concurrently supported security mechanism(s) for the
>>network?
>>
>>- WPA AND WEP 64 AND WEP 128
>>- WPA AND (WEP 64 OR WEP 128)
>>- WPA OR WEP 64 OR WEP 128
>>- ???
>
> The encryption is whatever you have the wireless access point
> (router) configured to provide. In the access point, WEP and
> WPA are mutually exclusive. It's one or the other, not both.
> Therefore, it's #3
> WPA OR WEP 64 OR WEP 128

Thanks Jeff.

I was afraid that was the case. Makes migration from WEP to WPA an
interesting challenge. :)