Mar 22, 2022
Hello,

I just moved into a new flat with my partner. We need internet asap, but we can't get Fibre from anyone. We require fast speeds because we like to game together and my partner works from home. It must be stable with decent range.

I came across these mobile hotspots like GigaCube, Vodafone 4G Mobile Hotspot, ext. I literally just discovered these today, and I was chatting to an assistant from Vodafone who recommended the Vodafone 4G Mobile Hotspot. It seems fast, but I'm concerned about the range. I want a box to live in the corner of a room and not have it by my side to be able to connect. Like a normal Wi-Fi box.

Also, would two people require 5G? It seems overkill for only two people but i don't want to spend money on 4G if it's going to be very slow.

My knowledge on these hotspots and internet in general isn't great, so would one of you lovely people recommend one to me? :3

Cheers,
P.

Solution
Like normal the cell companies are telling lots of lies again.

There are 2 types of things being called "5G". The original one is extremely fast and can get gigabit speeds. Problem is it does not work well for mobile and runs a on high radio frequencies that do not penetrate walls so you generally need outside antenna.
There are not a lot of areas with this installed, mostly in bigger cities but even then it only covers small areas.

The latest type of "5G" is what used to be called LTE advanced. Companies like tmobile started calling this 5G and because consumers are stupid other vendors started to call it that too. The same thing happened when LTE first started people didn't know that 4G-LTE was much faster than other...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I just moved into a new flat with my partner. We need internet asap, but we can't get Fibre from anyone. We require fast speeds because we like to game together and my partner works from home. It must be stable with decent range.

I came across these mobile hotspots like GigaCube, Vodafone 4G Mobile Hotspot, ext. I literally just discovered these today, and I was chatting to an assistant from Vodafone who recommended the Vodafone 4G Mobile Hotspot. It seems fast, but I'm concerned about the range. I want a box to live in the corner of a room and not have it by my side to be able to connect. Like a normal Wi-Fi box.

Also, would two people require 5G? It seems overkill for only two people but i don't want to spend money on 4G if it's going to be very slow.

My knowledge on these hotspots and internet in general isn't great, so would one of you lovely people recommend one to me? :3

Cheers,
P.
Cellular (4G and maybe 5G) is not good for gaming. The latency is not consistent.
You might be better off using typical DSL or coax cable. No matter what the advertising says, you probably won't benefit significantly with gigabit fiber over 200Mbit coax cable.

Like normal the cell companies are telling lots of lies again.

There are 2 types of things being called "5G". The original one is extremely fast and can get gigabit speeds. Problem is it does not work well for mobile and runs a on high radio frequencies that do not penetrate walls so you generally need outside antenna.
There are not a lot of areas with this installed, mostly in bigger cities but even then it only covers small areas.

The latest type of "5G" is what used to be called LTE advanced. Companies like tmobile started calling this 5G and because consumers are stupid other vendors started to call it that too. The same thing happened when LTE first started people didn't know that 4G-LTE was much faster than other things that had been renamed 4G.

In the end mostly the speed went from say 50mbps to 100mbps. In some cases you can get more but you must be very close to a uncontested cell tower.

SO if you can get the real version of 5g you might consider that. I do not know how much real 5G was installed in other countries. Since it is designed for in home use it works ok but it still will get more latency spikes than some form of cable internet

Any other form of mobile broadband I would not recommend if you are going to play games. It will be fine for web surfing and netflix etc. but games will be affected by even very small changes in latency.

It all depends on what you can get on a wired internet connection. If all you can get is a slow dsl connection, like 25mbps then maybe consider the mobile broadband. All depends on what traffic other than games you need. Games need almost no bandwidth like under 1mbps it is going to be someone watching 4k netflix at the same time that would cause the problem.

Reactions: PeterPeter420
Solution