mobo- a bottleneck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
i thought im single processor man?

i also got mixed up in the first section ''system type'' whether im single or dual processor, but just below the system type options it says 'Attention: Dual Core CPU is a Single Processor'. this gave me a relief lol.

if i do put dual processor then i get 470 w but thats wrong

so thats means i got 345w (as im single processor), right?

Yup, sure did it wrong :p Didn't realize that they had a separate part in that huge list for AM2, they did have 6000+ after all. I got 456W now. Here are the specifications I picked:

single processor, X2 6000+
high-end mobo
2 sticks DDR2
8800 GTS 640 single card
20% capacitor aging
2 fans
1 SATA disk
1 USB
sound card //447W without this
modem
1 DVD-RW

Edit: only 348 W without capacitor aging and fans. Is that capacitor aging for real, or can we just ignore it? Anyway, OP, you'll be fine with that PSU. You'll want a new one anyway in a couple of years when the new GPUs want 2kW each :roll:

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
thank you, couple of things

1. my mobo is K9NGM. mobo link is that considered high end or regular desktop?

2. what is capacitor aging and why 20%? (it take loads of watts lol)

3. i though 1 fan huh

edit: i assume for this section ''CPU Utilization (TDP 2)'' which im not sure what this is you put 100% TDP. is it probably to do with CPU load?

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
it's for real (a little), but when they are fucked up, we switch the mobo for a new one since there is instability, we don't buy a new and more powerful psu.
Did I make myself clear? :?

So, don't bother with those settings in the psu calculator.

edit: when the capacitors are getting old, they can't deliver the juice needed thus making the psu being a lot less efficient. So, we change the mobo.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
2/3 years at full load 24/7 :wink:

Don't worry. Generally they leak before getting defective and useless by prolonged use

u know what i mean?

Ps: I don't believe there are differences between regular and high end mobos, just voltage regulators and capacitors which have almost no impact in power draw in a full system.