Question MOBO doesn't recognize GPU anymore

Sep 10, 2020
Hi everyone.
One week ago I changed my CPU cooler.
After the installation of the cooler I turned on my PC and the video output didn't work.
First of all I thought the problem was my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB), so i took it off and tried it in an another PC, but it worked.
So I connected my monitor to the integrated video card of the CPU (i5 6500) and I opened the BIOS.
The system browser of the MOBO (Asrock z170 pro4) says that the pcie slot is empty, but the GPU is plugged in.
In few words, my mobo doesn't detect the GPU.
I updated the BIOS, but nothing changed.
I also tried a different GPU and it works.
So, it seems that the MOBO doesn't recognize only my gtx 1060
Any solutions?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
One week ago I changed my CPU cooler.
After the installation of the cooler I turned on my PC and the video output didn't work.
First of all I thought the problem was my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB), so i took it off and tried it in an another PC, but it worked.
So I connected my monitor to the integrated video card of the CPU (i5 6500) and I opened the BIOS.
The system browser of the MOBO (Asrock z170 pro4) says that the pcie slot is empty, but the GPU is plugged in.
In few words, my mobo doesn't detect the GPU.
I updated the BIOS, but nothing changed.
I also tried a different GPU and it works.
So, it seems that the MOBO doesn't recognize only my gtx 1060
Any solutions?
Thanks.

What other GPU did you try in the motherboard? If it was a lower power gpu (e.g. GTX 1050 or other gpu that doesn't use much / any external power) the issue could be that your power supply isn't providing enough power on the external 12V connector to your 1060.

Looking up your motherboard, I notice it has 2 x full length PCIe slots - have you tried your 1060 in the other slot? If that works it suggests the motherboard may be starting to fail.

Sep 10, 2020
What other GPU did you try in the motherboard? If it was a lower power gpu (e.g. GTX 1050 or other gpu that doesn't use much / any external power) the issue could be that your power supply isn't providing enough power on the external 12V connector to your 1060.

Looking up your motherboard, I notice it has 2 x full length PCIe slots - have you tried your 1060 in the other slot? If that works it suggests the motherboard may be starting to fail.
Thanks for your answer.
I tried an old GPU. I bought an other PSU and I just tried the new one, but nothing changed.
Also, I tried the secondo PCIe slot , but the Mobo still doesn't recognize the GPU