[SOLVED] Mobo is throttling my i7 2600k from 3.4ghz to 1.6ghz after hitting 70c

Oct 26, 2020
MB: Intel DH67BL
CPU: i7 2600k

So a little bit of context, my stock cooler reached 90c at full load, but still continued to run at 3.4ghz.
I wanted to reduce temperatures, so I bought a Cooler Master Hyper T20.
My 100% load now is only as hot at 75c,
but for some reason now, my MOBO decided to start throttling at 70c.

So whenever I play RDR2(Or run AIDA64s test), my CPU clocks run at 3.4ghz for 5 minutes, and then down to 1.7ghz for 5 minutes, and this cycle continues forever.
This cycle, is also visible in the CPU temps monitor, where it oscillates between 70c and 55c.

I essentially have three questions:
  1. Why did this throttling not happen before?
  2. What can I do about it?
  3. Could this be caused by too much thermal paste( I think some of it is spilling at the sides)?

Solution

So a little bit of context, my stock cooler reached 90c at full load, but still continued to run at 3.4ghz.

So whenever I play RDR2(Or run AIDA64s test), my CPU clocks run at 3.4ghz for 5 minutes, and then down to 1.7ghz for 5 minutes, and this cycle continues forever.
This cycle, is also visible in the CPU temps monitor, where it oscillates between 70c and 55c.

3. Could this be caused by too much thermal...

3. Could this be caused by too much thermal paste( I think some of it is spilling at the sides)?

I think you might be hitting either a power limit, or a VRM thermal limit on the motherboard. The stock coolers blow air down over the motherboard - this helps keep the motherboard VRM (the circuit that supplies power to the CPU) cool - if these get too hot it will throttle the cpu. Whilst your cpu is cool, putting a high load on it like AIDA64 or a heavy game like RDR2 will tax the vrm. The tower style coolers don't blow down over the board which might explain the issue - try running the machine with the side of the case off, maybe point a desk fan at the motherboard? If this resolves the issue then you need to look at airflow in the case, you can also purchase add on heat sinks to help cool the VRM further.

I had similar issues with an old FX system - the motherboard temp was the limit rather than the cpu. A couple of extra case fans fixed it for me.

Solution
Oct 26, 2020

I think you might be hitting either a power limit, or a VRM thermal limit on the motherboard. The stock coolers blow air down over the motherboard - this helps keep the motherboard VRM (the circuit that supplies power to the CPU) cool - if these get too hot it will throttle the cpu. Whilst your cpu is cool, putting a high load on it like AIDA64 or a heavy game like RDR2 will tax the vrm. The tower style coolers don't blow down over the board which might explain the issue - try running the machine with the side of the case off, maybe point a desk fan at the motherboard? If this resolves the issue then you need to look at airflow in the case, you can also purchase add on heat sinks to help cool the VRM further.

I had similar issues with an old FX system - the motherboard temp was the limit rather than the cpu. A couple of extra case fans fixed it for me.
Okay. So I cleared up a lot of unnecessary cables on the inside of my cabinet. Doesn’t really make much of a difference. However.
Now only Aida64 throttles, not RDR2(so far atleast).
I’m tried to cable-manage the best I can for that old cabinet.
I’m thinking of also fitting in an intake fan, to improve airflow.
I’m wondering about buying a laptop cooler and laying my desktop sideways could help with the airflow, just a wild idea.
If it’s alright with you, are there any more ideas you could give me on how to improve airflow? Or manage those VRM temps?

Reactions: cdrkf

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
install a small fan on the top of the VRM
creative use of zip ties is recommended

95254_upload_2017-11-10_16-18-27.png

Reactions: v4g4x and cdrkf