Modern Warfare 2 is Most Pirated Game of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i thought you couldn't play mp on the pirated version .. so what's the point?

G

I thought you couldn't play mp on the pirated version.. so what's the point?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
ridiculous. a quick search of any torrent site, will show the xbox 360 version is pirated the most.
you can play MP on the xbox 360 with a pirated copy.

and as far as the pc version goes, they gimped the MP so badly this round that noone is interested in it. if the mp sucks, why buy the game when you can just pirate for the single player?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Bob

Since the multiplayer has no dedicated servers, and just a crappy matchmaking system, the game's only worth it for the short single player campaign... which a hardcore FPS player will blow through in just a couple days.
-Ironically, players who pirate the game can use hacks to get dedicated servers and the dev console.

Not really surprised on the 5 million pirate downloads, but that 4.1 million legit copies sold in the first 24 hours sort of makes me sad... considering the way IW basically stabbed hardcore FPS players in the back and twisted the knife.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
*correction: 4.7 million legit copies in the first 24 hours. I need an edit button.

@Hix
I like you. You actually spelled "ridiculous" correctly. On the forums here, that's freaking amazing.

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
well...i wasn't about to pay another 60 bucks for a bullshit version of a fantastic game. i would have paid 30, as an expansion...because that's all it's worth

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I had it given to me as a gift for the 360. Beat single player quickly and got bored of mp just as fast. It's fun, but not a huge improvement over MW1. Sure there are fun new gadgets like the pred or the AC130 in MP, but nothing that really kept me playing.

Now if they put in dedicated, I would probably buy it for PC and play it a lot more than I do now on the 360. It just doesn't feel right playing FPS on a console when you did it for so long on PC.

Sadly, the only thing that will come of this is more DRM, which, like abstinence teaching, has proven to not work with kids or adults.

G

Biometric DRM is the only course of action left! Register your finger print and for a mere $150 Game Company X will send you their latest title (encoded so only you can play it) and a biometric scanner to use every time you load the game.

G

You know take torret freaks numbers with a grain of sult. torret freak has creadbility iusse. Pc gaming does not have the highest pircay rate. All you need to do is look at nintendo wii and dsi

sorry pc gaming pircay does not reach into the billions

http://news.softpedia.com/news/1-Billion-Dollars-Worth-Pirated-DS-Games-Were-Seized-83135.shtml

here is proof that the ps3 can be pirated

video gamer ask torret freak to perduce consoles number for pircay last year they could not do it or did not do it. By the way those numbers are old I am sure those numbers are alot bigger too.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1323.html

here is a little more proof of ps3 pirated

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/10086.cfm

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26745912

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/rehashplus/post.htm?id=63005989

by the way I just want to add all the best features from call of duty seires came from pc gamers on modders.

the game devs did not perduce jack!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2NkIfUgjkc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfTR8PBrsE

byy the way you don't need to mod your console to pirate games.

I just want to get that out there. The gaming Industry has alot of lairs out there so be clearful.

also I personaly call the gaming industry a dictorship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozF4zndGbg

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I wonder how many legit copies of Modern Warfare sold on the PC? I'm guessing about 820,000 copies (take a 80% piracy rate).

So far MW2 has sold 4.2 million copies with another 1 million pirate copies given it a total audience of 5.3 million on the Xbox 360, PS3 aren't worth mentioning and on the PC we know it's been pirated 4.1 million times with about another 1 million legit copies sold for a total playing audience of 5.1 million(guesstimate).

This proves to me PC gaming is far from dead and there's an audience out there to sell you product to and make money from all you need to do is give them what they want. If publishers treated pirate like competition rather then criminals (by offering something they can't) I reckon games companies would make more money out of the PC as a platform then they do currently.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Stupid pirates ruined the Dreamcast and killed SEGA's console future. Now they're ruining PC gaming too.

Stop justifying stealing something. If I'm hungry can I go steal a sandwich that's overpriced and tastes bad just because it's not worthy of my money? No! You're still a theif. If you want a game suck it up and buy it.

The only thing I hate more than invasive and irritating DRM is the pirates the necessitate it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Beat the game in like 3-4 hours

these companies need to lower their prices when they know that cant add enough gameplay.

they should charge as much for a game as will be charged to watch a movie, the cost of making a PC game is often less than making a movie, and the time to make one is about the same also, there is no reason for the $60 price tag

people will pirate less if games were cheaper or at least offered $60 worth of gameplay.

all of the new games pretty much suck with this, one of the worst being dragon age, with only about 3 hours of actual gameplay and endless hours of filler content (walking around with a character that runs slowly and talking to random people or doing some stupid annoying puzzle crap to cross a bridge, this is all time wasting to make a game seem longer, this is done in every current game and it has to stop)

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Serves em right, should of added dedicated server's, they would have my money right now, i am one of the 5 million and not one of the $310 million. Their fault.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
One up to user-one. I am waiting for BF Bad Company 2. I buy games that are for true pc gamers, not ones that a ported from console to pc, cough...MW2.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
hillarymakesmecry:

Well the fact that you can't sell a stolen sandwitch while you can sell a media product that have been copied from make it different than theft imo. I don't call pirating theft really - Sure its a crime but not theft as the publishers are fully capable of selling the product anyway while a physical produst that aint there is kinda hard to sell!

So even the punishment for copying the products should be lower (not like today with the RIAA & MPAA showing the total inhuman ways of making money suin people for insane amonths for a few tracks)

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
yea the 360 version is the highest downloaded version.Deserve's them right for not putting forth a couple days to a weeks effort to fix the PC version.

G

I'm more curious to know how they judge download numbers based on BitTorrent? Due to the nature of the protocol it would all but impossible to accurately gauge which bits go where and how many complete copies of the files are distributed. Let alone actually used.

It could be 4.1 million. It could also be a tenth of that, or ten times as many. Considering the normal FUD being spread around regarding piracy by game publishers and media houses I'm betting they err on the side of, uh, vast over-representation.

It's also worth noting that the most pirated software isn't the best or most popular, it's the one consumers consider least worthy of their hard-earned cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.