[SOLVED] MODERN WARFARE -Why is 9700k Needed for 4k RTX? Why is the 8700k not enough?

mr91

Distinguished
Does anybody know why COD Moderwarfare needs a 9700k for 4k Ultra ray tracing over the 8700k?

Is it the IPC and clock improvements or the presence of 8 spacial vs 6 physical and 6 Logical?

Below are the official specs...

Competitive Specs:
Here are the Competitive specs to run at a high fps for use with a high refresh monitor:
· Requires DirectX 12 compatible system
· CPU: Intel i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 1800X
· Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / RTX 2070 SUPER or Radeon RX Vega⁶⁴ Graphics
· RAM: 16GB RAM
· HDD: 175GB HD space
· Network: Broadband Internet connection
· Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Ultra RTX Specs:
Finally, here are the Ultra RTX specs to run the game at a high FPS in 4K resolution with Ray Tracing:
· CPU: Intel i7-9700K or AMD Ryzen 2700X
· Video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
· RAM: 16GB RAM
· HDD: 175GB HD space
· Network: Broadband Internet connection
· Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Solution
They list these specs as their best guess to run them without issue, so they are going to overestimate most of the time so they dont get people coming along saying "I have X specs why cant I do Y"
The processor change could be due to IPC and cores vs threads, but more likely they did it just to "balance" out the 2080 Super.
They list these specs as their best guess to run them without issue, so they are going to overestimate most of the time so they dont get people coming along saying "I have X specs why cant I do Y"
The processor change could be due to IPC and cores vs threads, but more likely they did it just to "balance" out the 2080 Super.

Solution

mr91

Distinguished
Thank you that is what I was thinking. I’ve got a 2080 ti and my 8700k has better better single core performance than a stock 9700k However they also listed a 2700x which is a AMD 8 core cpu.

maybe the time to upgrade to 8 cores is coming soon if Ray Tracing is used.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I'm sure you will be fine. Since running at 4k. The GPU is the hardware doing the most work. With the CPU you have. I'm sure all will be good. Let us know you you make out when you play it.

mr91

Distinguished
I'm sure I will be fine however it's possible have a 9900ks will bring significant improvements with 4k and Ray tracing enabled...
Like you said in many 4k Titles better cpu's provided more improvements at lower resolutions however not for this title.

They Specify 4k and ray tracing the full specs are above...

Ultra RTX Specs:
Finally, here are the Ultra RTX specs to run the game at a high FPS in 4K resolution with Ray Tracing:

I'll let everybody know.