Question Momma Needs Internet in the She-Shed

dengebre

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2017
My wife would like to use her she-shed as a home office for her new remote job, but it does not have any internet service. I am far from a networking expert, but I am considering running an ethernet cable from the switch in the house through the attic and out to the she-shed. It would be a Cat6 (or Cat7?) direct burial cable with a total run of 164 lineal feet (50M). It would connect to a second router in the she-shed. My questions are:

Is this setup superior to a point-to-point wireless bridge?
Can I daisy chain two routers without impacting performance?
Do I need to replace the router in the house to something more complex?
Any recommendations for Router #2 (I haven’t purchased it yet)?
What settings/modes are required for Router #1 and #2?

ISP: FIOS 1 gig Internet ---> modem ---> Router #1: TP-Link AC1900 (4 ports out) ---> Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1008D (8 ports) --- Direct Burial Ethernet Cable (164 LF) ---> Router #2 (TBD)

Please forgive any dumb questions, and thank you in advance for your guidance and expertise.

kanewolf

Titan
My wife would like to use her she-shed as a home office for her new remote job, but it does not have any internet service. I am far from a networking expert, but I am considering running an ethernet cable from the switch in the house through the attic and out to the she-shed. It would be a Cat6 (or Cat7?) direct burial cable with a total run of 164 lineal feet (50M). It would connect to a second router in the she-shed. My questions are:

Is this setup superior to a point-to-point wireless bridge?
Can I daisy chain two routers without impacting performance?
Do I need to replace the router in the house to something more complex?
Any recommendations for Router #2 (I haven’t purchased it yet)?
What settings/modes are required for Router #1 and #2?

ISP: FIOS 1 gig Internet ---> modem ---> Router #1: TP-Link AC1900 (4 ports out) ---> Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1008D (8 ports) --- Direct Burial Ethernet Cable (164 LF) ---> Router #2 (TBD)

Please forgive any dumb questions, and thank you in advance for your guidance and expertise.
First, don't get "Cat 7". It was never an official standard and is more likely to be fake. Get Cat5e or Cat6a. Those are well established standards.
Buying higher "cat" numbers doesn't benefit you. All that is required for gigabit service to 300 ft is Cat5e or Cat6a, 100% copper, 24GA round wire.
What benefit is "Router #2"? WIFI source? That can work, but you need to decide if the rest of the house should be connected or isolated. In other words, do you want the "house" to be treated like the "internet" from the she-shed or do you want the she-shed to be part of the house network. Either one can work, but you need to configure "router #2" differently in the two situations.

Reactions: PEnns and 35below0

dengebre

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I definitely do not want the "house" to be treated like the "internet" from the she-shed. I would like the she-shed to be either a part of the house network (preferred) or the she-shed can be isolated.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your reply. I definitely do not want the "house" to be treated like the "internet" from the she-shed. I would like the she-shed to be either a part of the house network (preferred) or the she-shed can be isolated.
If you want the shed to be integrated, then you want the shed configured as an access point. Some routers have simple options to configure as an access point.