[SOLVED] Monitor backlight not working?

Apr 16, 2020
I've done a lot of googling for related problems and I've been having little to no success.

I recently bought a ASUS VG278Q and I was incredibly excited to start using it. I assembled it and then connected it to my computer and turned it on and the screen seemed to turn on fine. I would see the Asus logo boot and was able to navigate the menus fine.

As soon as I switched sources in the monitor settings to Displayport the monitor went completely black and never resolved itself. I was no longer able to switch sources back to before and from what I could tell the monitor wouldn't even turn on anymore.

2 hours of painstaking troubleshooting later I realised that the display actually was on and there was a picture, but it was super dark and practically impossible to see without shining a torch on it. This leads me to believe there's an issue with the backlight? I tried changing basically every setting while navigating the menu with a torch shone over it and to no avail. I tried all different kinds of cables, ports and outlets. Nadah.

I literally just got this monitor and with the Covid19 situation I really cannot be stuffed returning it. I'm truly considering just opening the monitor up. I just don't understand why the backlight seemed to work fine when I first started it up? I'm going crazy. Any assistance would be great, even though I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to return this.

Solution
The monitor´s backlight or power circuit could be defective. Because you still have warranty, you shouldn´t open it up.

Get in contact with ASUS or the shop you bought it from. RMA it.

You could open it up, but then you still would need a backlight replacement (couldn´t find it online) or other replacements if the backlight is not the culprit.

Electronics like monitors can work in the factory fine, tested well and then shipped to the customer something happens, like temperature hot to cold to hot, or it got a hit while moving around or similar. Hardware is getting faulty in the first months or after the warranty expires.
The monitor´s backlight or power circuit could be defective. Because you still have warranty, you shouldn´t open it up.

Get in contact with ASUS or the shop you bought it from. RMA it.

You could open it up, but then you still would need a backlight replacement (couldn´t find it online) or other replacements if the backlight is not the culprit.

Electronics like monitors can work in the factory fine, tested well and then shipped to the customer something happens, like temperature hot to cold to hot, or it got a hit while moving around or similar. Hardware is getting faulty in the first months or after the warranty expires.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution