[SOLVED] Monitor doesnt turn on when there is a GPU attached to the PC.

Oct 9, 2019
Motherboard: Asus K87-K
CPU: Inter I7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bit Home premium
Previous GFX: Asus Geforce 760 GTX
New GFX: Asus Gforce 1050 Ti Advanced
PSU: ZM700-GLX 700 W

My monitor Samsung 24'' suddenly went black and wouldnt show anything on the screen.
The only way I could get the monitor to turn on was the on board VGA.
I thought it was the GFX, so I bought the 1050 TI. But when I put that in, the same thing accours. The screen doesnt turn on. The indicator blinks, but it doesnt complain over connection and when I use the test function on the monitor is says everything is fine.

After I plugged the 1050 TI into the machine, I cant get the monitor to turn on using the on board VGA unless I remove the 1050 ti form the PC. If I remove the new GFX the on board VGA works.
I'm using DVI because my monitor doesnt have a HDMI port, only VGA and DVI, and I tried both.

I tried updating the bios to 14.02 from the asus website using their updating tool in case it was the motherboard, but now I just dont know what to do.

I'm going to borrow a 5M HDMI cable from work tomorrow to test it on my 40'' TV and see if its the monitor that just doesnt work, or the default resolution is higher than the minotors capabilities.

The PC is around 5 years old I think, I havent really counted.

If anyone have a good idea, please let me know...

Regards
Gullev

Edit: my 12V is at 12.192V
When the old GFX was plugged in , I could use the on board VGA, but I couldnt with the new card, which is why I didnt know what to do.
What can I do about teh chip/sPCI E slot problem ? Is it something I can fix, or do I need to buy a newPC/MB ?
The new GFX card gets powered because the fans turn on, so it does get powered.

Last edited:
Solution
First, it is normal for the integrated graphics to disable itself when the BIOS sees a card in the PCIex16 slot.
As to the lack of a display, it might be the slot or the north bridge chip that handles the PCI Express interface since both cards won't work.
Another possibility is the +12V supply to the gfx card has failed. If your GTX 1050 Ti is one that doesn't need a 6-pin, it still may be the +12V supply to the slot.

Since everything was working fine, and then suddenly the display quit, it seems the issue is a hardware failure anyway.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, it is normal for the integrated graphics to disable itself when the BIOS sees a card in the PCIex16 slot.
As to the lack of a display, it might be the slot or the north bridge chip that handles the PCI Express interface since both cards won't work.
Another possibility is the +12V supply to the gfx card has failed. If your GTX 1050 Ti is one that doesn't need a 6-pin, it still may be the +12V supply to the slot.

Since everything was working fine, and then suddenly the display quit, it seems the issue is a hardware failure anyway.

Solution