[SOLVED] Monitor goes black repeatedly when switched to 144hz.

TidalMello

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I just built a new PC, and when I tried to switch the refresh rate to 144hz, the monitor either stays black, or it's able to display an image for a few seconds before blacking out and repeating the cycle.

I can go up to 85hz without issues, however any higher causes issues. The computer I just switched from ran 144hz on this monitor through DVI without issues.
However my GPU (Nvidia RTX 2070) Doesn't have any DVI ports so I switched to a Insignia display port cable. I've checked the connections to almost everything and nothing is loose.

I rolled the drivers back one version by uninstalling them from programs and then running a clean install of an older driver (431.36) to no avail.

My monitor is an ASUS VG24qe and had no issue using DVI at 144hz. Everything is brand new and was built last night, the display port cable I bought 2 hours ago.

One thread mentioned that a different program was managing the refresh rate, but I barely have anything installed on this PC since I just built it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
1080p 85 Hz is the limit for DisplayPort RBR mode. Sounds like the cable is having trouble maintaining HBR transmission rates. This can happen with off-brand non-certified cables.

TidalMello

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
1080p 85 Hz is the limit for DisplayPort RBR mode. Sounds like the cable is having trouble maintaining HBR transmission rates. This can happen with off-brand non-certified cables.

I ended up getting the cable replaced with another one from the same company and it's working now. I guess the one I had previously was just faulty.

Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: Glenwing