Question Monitor no signal after 1-2 hours ?

ken321312

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
I was running Microsoft teams and updating my raven coin core this morning when all of the sudden my monitor loses signal and I get black screens. I turned it on and off but to no avail of getting a signal. Then I did the only thing I knew how to do and was to take it outside to dust it off with an air compressor machine. It works, but when I left my computer on for 1-2 hours and come back, it loses signal. This has happened twice. Could I have a failing power supply or need a new CPU?

Thanks

ken321312

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
PC was built in 2016 I think, these are the specs.
  • Processor: Intel i7-6700k OP 4.00GHZ
  • RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB Ram (2x)
  • Graphics: Geforce GTX 970

It works for 2-5 hours so far, then the monitor goes off, and then the audio cuts a few seconds later. I've tried to reboot it from start but sometimes it doesn't work.

ken321312

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
I think it's a evga 500b. I tried integrated graphics and uninstalled nividia programs successfully. Then I installed GPU again and the software, tried to play 5-10minutes of World War Z, and it crashed right after I alt f4 the game. I tried turning it off and on but after I got to the home screen it lost signal. I left it for 5-10 minutes and it's working so far. Maybe its a GPU problem? Was in a discord voice call while my monitor lost signal for 20-30 minutes.

ken321312

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
Not overclocking but temps are apparently normal to the ones I checked online. Should I run integrated graphics for a day and see if it crashes just to test if it's my GPU? Or is there a way to test for a defective/failing PSU?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Not overclocking but temps are apparently normal to the ones I checked online. Should I run integrated graphics for a day and see if it crashes just to test if it's my GPU? Or is there a way to test for a defective/failing PSU?
The system was built in 2016, as you said. So the PSU is old now.
The problem might be the PSU. You should take out the graphics card, put it in a safe place, and stress test the PC with integrated graphics.

ken321312

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
I think it is the processor. Just did remote play with a friend for 4 hours and launched world war z without any crash. The only thing was that I couldn't get through the loading screen of World War Z, but I think its the GPU