Question Monitor Randomly Loses Signal

Eli Little

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Hello, I am having issues with my PC. At completely random times, sometimes after a week, sometimes twice a day, my screen will go black and my monitor will show "No Signal". The only way to get the signal back is by restarting my system. Right when it happens, I will hear my PC fans rev up temperately than go back to normal speeds. The sound will still work, but my mouse and keyboard will stop working.

In the event view it shows that a driver failed, while in the reliability checker it shows a hardware failure.
Right after it happens I also get this in the event viewer "The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem." I assumed it was a GPU problem, but the issue only started after I updated to Windows 10 a couple months back.

Specs -
-GTX 1080
-Ryzen 5 1600
-16GB 2400Mhz RAM
-AsRock AB350M Pro 4
-EVGA 650w Bronze PSU
-Seagate 2TB SSHD
-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

I tried updating my BIOS to the latest version, dusting out my PC and placing the RAM in different slots, reseating my GPU+power cables, reinstalling my GPU drivers, ect. Nothing has worked. I also checked the monitor, but even after the error I can switch over to my PS4's HDMI input and it works fine. I have also ran stress tests on my GPU and CPU but they pass with flying colors. My HDD and SSD are also perfectly healthy according to Speccy. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Last edited:

Eli Little

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Alright. I completely disconnected all PSU wires, reseated the RAM into different slots, reseated/cleaned the GPU, and did a more through dusting of the radiators and PSU. One of those seemed to have worked (so far, we'll see in a couple days). I am guessing that somehow, either from dust in the PSU or a loose connection somewhere, that my GPU may have been temporarily losing power and restarting (hence the fan rev), causing me to lose all video but not audio (since I use a USB headset). Either way, it is working so far. We'll see it a couple days.

Alright. I completely disconnected all PSU wires, reseated the RAM into different slots, reseated/cleaned the GPU, and did a more through dusting of the radiators and PSU. One of those seemed to have worked (so far, we'll see in a couple days). I am guessing that somehow, either from dust in the PSU or a loose connection somewhere, that my GPU may have been temporarily losing power and restarting (hence the fan rev), causing me to lose all video but not audio (since I use a USB headset). Either way, it is working so far. We'll see it a couple days.
Great!