[SOLVED] Monitor screen occasionally goes black for few seconds ?

May 25, 2022
I recently built a new PC, and bought a new monitor, Benq GL2780.

I didn’t buy any GPU, I’m using the Intel integrated GPU, and the problem is that my monitor screen occasionally goes black for a few seconds, and I’m not sure why this is happening.

It can happen even if the CPU or the GPU isn’t under a lot of load.

I checked the cables and everything is ok, I’m using DP cable. I checked the refresh rate and it’s 60Hz. What can be the problem?

I must mention that I’m using an old SSD from my old laptop, that had Nvidia GPU in it, but I uninstalled the drivers manually, not with DDU (if it matter somehow)

Solution
I changed from DP cable to HDMI cable and the issue completely disappeared.
What could have done this problem? the DP cable itself? It is a completely new one
May 25, 2022
Are you running the old Windows installation from the laptop on this new computer?

My first guess is that where your problem lies. You need to do a clean installation of Windows.
This isn’t an old windows installation, I have updated it, removed every driver that isn’t relevant and installed new ones. I can’t do fresh install it will delete my files…

This isn’t an old windows installation, I have updated it, removed every driver that isn’t relevant and installed new ones. I can’t do fresh install it will delete my files…

Just removing the old drivers makes no difference, it's still effectively the same Windows installation from your laptop. It's not enough to just remove the old drivers.
You must first copy your important data to another storage device, then do a fresh install of Windows.

May 25, 2022
I changed from DP cable to HDMI cable and the issue completely disappeared.
What could have done this problem? the DP cable itself? It is a completely new one

Solution
Oct 4, 2021
I am not sure that a reinstall is the correct course of action. I have had a similar problem when I lived in an old building in Brooklyn. The building's wiring was unable to boot my computer , because my 1000 watt PS and GTX1070 drew too much current. I moved to a different building with upgrade wiring and viola, no more problems. I have lost at least 6 computers via old wiring. I thought having an APC UPS would protect me. Turned out be bad wiring.
You should not have to worry about the Nvidia drivers. If the system is unable to see an Nvidia hardware, it shouldn't load it. If it is still in Device Manager, uninstall it and delete the software drivers. System re-install is not a viable solution

Last edited:
Reactions: Eladtopaz