Question monitors turn random colors and then pc crashes

Joshimy

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I built this system this last March. I’ve looked for similar threads but found nothing where the screens turn random colors. Usually, the search leads me to people having issues with their screens turning black or white. It seems to happen at complete random. It’s happened while browsing, while searching in windows explorer, while playing games and even at startup. There is no indication that it is going to happen, it just happens. Both screens will turn a random color and the sound from my speakers continue (with a bit of glitchy-ness in the sound. I.e. skipping, repeating, e.t.c). Sometimes, the screens will go back to normal and my pc will continue running as intended. Sometimes, it will not come back at all and I will have to shut it down by holding the power button. Sometimes, it will kill all the processes and restart. Sometimes, I will have to reboot my computer multiple times to get it to stop doing it at startup. I don’t even know where to begin diagnostics. I have uninstalled and reinstalled nvidia drivers. I have checked for viruses. I factory reset windows (lost a s@!$ ton of personal files). I took the oc off my card. The only thing I haven’t tried was taking the oc off my ram and my cpu (which I don’t think is the problem, considering that I have ran these oc’d for the last 6 months with no issues. I will leave a list of my specs bellow, the only used parts are my gpu and my mobo. I had an rtx2070 that was new but the fan went out within a few months and I had to buy the 1070 ti as a replacement and then never bothered to get a new card since. As for the mobo the only issue I have noticed was that the bios light kept switching back and fourth between the backup bios and regular bios one day last week. Idk if that is related tho. Feel free to ask any questions. Any help is greatly appreciated!:)

mobo
gigabyte ax370 gaming 5
Cpu
Ryzen 5 3600 (oc to 4.19ghz)
Ram
Corsair vengeance 2x 16gb sticks 3200mhz
(^there could be an issue here. I have to oc the ram on my board because it only supports up to 2133 I believe)
Gpu
Gtx 1070 ti 6gb
Psu
Thermaltake 750w psu
Storage
120gb ssd (os)
1tb ssd (games and personal files)
If it is advised that I replace something, please recommend cheap alt. I am on a very tight budget rn due to rona :(
If it helps, I mainly play ESO, so nothing too crazy.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the screens go random color.

And that 120 GB SSD (os) - how full is the drive?

120GB is too small nowadays. 240 GB is recommended.

However, I recognize that events and budget have likely prohibited getting a larger SSD.

Perhaps you can free up some space on the drive. I recommend that the drive be held to about 70-80% capacity.

(Note:That is just me. There are other thoughts on the matter.)

Look for errors, check how full the drive is, and post accordingly.

Joshimy

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I have taken the overclocks off of my CPU and RAM to see if that would help at all; it didn't.
Looking into Reliability History, it seems to be caused by some sort of driver issue. I am no good at reading codes, like such, so I will leave the screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAn-KwuncKZAABBIPIRHjgCWMxvpecmv/view?usp=sharing

As for the SSD, I have about 58gb left. If the issue seems to be hardware related, (I am suspecting the MOBO since it is so far out of date) then I will remove the 120gb SSD and move Windows to my 1tb SSD, while I'm at it.

Thanks again!:)

Joshimy

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
I have now switched the motherboard out for a brand new one, and moved my Windows to my 1tb SSD. The remaining used parts in my PC are the PSU and the GPU. I really don't want to buy a new GPU, so if anyone has any last remarks before I go out and buy a new one, it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: