Question Motherboard flashes whenever PSU is switched on ?

Dec 30, 2021
This is my first build, but I'm not a total noob.

Over the last few days I have built this PC. Spent a lot of time handling the components with care and searching the best practices on the internet, and doing nice cable management.

Got to post on the first try and installed windows. The PC works. (thermals are meh, but I'm getting a new cooler)

I noticed that (almost) every time i flick the switch on the PSU to "on", I will see a flash and it will make a sound. I quickly noticed that the flash is coming from the motherboard. I thought it wasn't that bad and continued to use my PC and setting up all the RGB and such. At this point I notice that a part of the lights on the motherboard are the wrong color. As in, I click green, and some LEDs are more yellow than others.

It's not a software issue. I tried all different pieces of RGB software and can't fix the inconsistency of the lights. At this point I further investigate the flash, and notice that the flash is coming from the lights on the mobo. I suspect that the PSU or mobo are bad? But I'm not sure what to do.

I managed to find videos of other users with the same flash, but they all say it's normal. No talk about the color being off here, though. And it doesn't feel/sound normal.

Youtube vid

Reddit post

specs:
mobo: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
PSU: Corsair RM850x (850W)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 2x16gb Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3600
storage: samsung 980 1 tb
GPU: msi GTX 1080
case: nzxt h510i

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take a look and give some advice!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me that you might have a grounding issue in your crib. Might want to relocate to another outlet and see if the issue persists. I'd also try and see if you can call over a certified electrician to see if you do indeed have grounding in your home.

The colors could be another issue entirely, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Polarity on the RGB devices connected the right way(noting the arrow being connected to the 12v pin on the board)? You've shown other people's issues, so I'm merely assuming you have RGB devices.

Dec 30, 2021

Seems to me that you might have a grounding issue in your crib. Might want to relocate to another outlet and see if the issue persists. I'd also try and see if you can call over a certified electrician to see if you do indeed have grounding in your home.

The colors could be another issue entirely, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Polarity on the RGB devices connected the right way(noting the arrow being connected to the 12v pin on the board)? You've shown other people's issues, so I'm merely assuming you have RGB devices.
Thanks for the warm welcome and the help!

As soon as I get home I will try another outlet. Right now I'm using one of those power strips. I'll ask my father about grounding as he'll know.

For the RGB devices, I'm talking about the lights that are integrated on the motherboard. The links I posted are to videos of people with the same motherboard, I should add.

There are a few seperate LED strips on the motherboard (I believe 2). The upper is displaying the right color but there's one below which displays a different color.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021

Moving the PC to a different outlet does not really have any effect. What causes you to believe it might be grounding?