Question Motherboard got damaged during power outage but not the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2019
Hello, recently there was a power outage at my home and my computer got damaged. The funny part is that only the motherboard got damaged but no the PSU, is this possible?

The PSU is a good one as far as I know, thermaltake smart RGB 600w. So the PSU should have taken the hit.

Thank you.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'd say not a very good PSU. A decent PSU should be able to protect the rest of the system from over voltage and over current. Maybe it doesn't have a proper and up to ATX standard hold-up time and the system kind of browned out.

A power spike won't usually happen in the event of a blackout per se, however, if power is restored instantaneously and the system BIOS is set to perform a normal restart after power loss (some BIOSes let you set what happens after a power loss) it might damage the device (here PSU and whatever is connected to it) because at that moment there's a 'spike' as it were. Then again a decent PSU should be able to handle that inrush/spike and protect whatever is connected to it.

What problem do you have with the motherboard?

Mar 9, 2019
What is the actual problem you have been observing?
Every time I turn on the computer, the CPU red led lights up, and after a minute the red led of the ram starts blinking. i I have already tried the ram, CPU and PSU on another motherboard, and everything works perfectly. I have also tried my damaged motherboard with another PSU and the problem persists. I have also already tried restarting the CMOS. My motherboard is an gigabyte arous x470 gaming 5 WiFi.

Mar 9, 2019
I'd say not a very good PSU. A decent PSU should be able to protect the rest of the system from over voltage and over current. Maybe it doesn't have a proper and up to ATX standard hold-up time and the system kind of browned out.

A power spike won't usually happen in the event of a blackout per se, however, if power is restored instantaneously and the system BIOS is set to perform a normal restart after power loss (some BIOSes let you set what happens after a power loss) it might damage the device (here PSU and whatever is connected to it) because at that moment there's a 'spike' as it were. Then again a decent PSU should be able to handle that inrush/spike and protect whatever is connected to it.

What problem do you have with the motherboard?
Every time I turn on the computer, the CPU red led lights up in the mobile, and after a minute the red led of the ram starts blinking. i I have already tried the ram, CPU and PSU on another motherboard, and everything works perfectly. I have also tried my damaged motherboard with another PSU and the problem persists. I have also already tried restarting the CMOS. My motherboard is an gigabyte arous x470 gaming 5 WiFi.

Mar 9, 2019
Fairly low quality psu. Seems like it has poor protection too from power issues.
Would you say the Corsair cx 750 is a much better PSU? I chose the thermaltake because they offered a 5 year warranty compared to the Corsair one which was one year. Also I have found out that the electrical network of my house does not have a third wire that should be the ground. Could this have caused that the PSU protections didn't work?

Would you say the Corsair cx 750 is a much better PSU? I chose the thermaltake because they offered a 5 year warranty compared to the Corsair one which was one year. Also I have found out that the electrical network of my house does not have a third wire that should be the ground. Could this have caused that the PSU protections didn't work?
The newer grey label cx750 is better, its at least mediocre quality. The old green label cx750 is just as bad as your current psu.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Every time I turn on the computer, the CPU red led lights up, and after a minute the red led of the ram starts blinking. i I have already tried the ram, CPU and PSU on another motherboard, and everything works perfectly. I have also tried my damaged motherboard with another PSU and the problem persists. I have also already tried restarting the CMOS. My motherboard is an gigabyte arous x470 gaming 5 WiFi.

You have kind of narrowed down the issue and as other components work on another motherboard and the motherboard is showing symptoms of being faulty with another PSU I'd say it is probably damaged. If you can take it to a local service shop or something like that to make sure if it's got a problem.

As for a PSU I'd say get the best quality based on your budget-bracket. Consistency and longevity of all other components is directly related to the stability and 'cleanness' of the electricity provided by the PSU.

Yes proper grounding (if done properly) should in fact protect devices against surges and spikes and such. But that, here, would actually to a large extent apply to the PSU itself being vulnerable to such events. As I said, whatever happens on the AC mains a proper PSU must be able to protect components that are connected to it's DC output. You can protect your PSU, and therefore your PC, by using power extensions that have proper AC Surge protectcion implemented in them.

Mar 9, 2019
You have kind of narrowed down the issue and as other components work on another motherboard and the motherboard is showing symptoms of being faulty with another PSU I'd say it is probably damaged. If you can take it to a local service shop or something like that to make sure if it's got a problem.

As for a PSU I'd say get the best quality based on your budget-bracket. Consistency and longevity of all other components is directly related to the stability and 'cleanness' of the electricity provided by the PSU.

Yes proper grounding (if done properly) should in fact protect devices against surges and spikes and such. But that, here, would actually to a large extent apply to the PSU itself being vulnerable to such events. As I said, whatever happens on the AC mains a proper PSU must be able to protect components that are connected to it's DC output. You can protect your PSU, and therefore your PC, by using power extensions that have proper AC Surge protectcion implemented in them.
Now that you mentioned, I had my computer plugged to a power extension protected against surges. It is really weird that the surge passed the extension with surge protection and even the one from the PSU. Maybe the mobo was defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.