Question Motherboard has power but no display

Dec 22, 2019
Hello i am new to building PC, however i have been successful in putting parts together and making a computer work so far. This last one is giving me trouble. i have a ASUS X99-E motherboard, nvidia gtx 2070 TI, 1200 psu corsair.

it seems to turn on fine but i cannot get a display, one of the light on the motherboard is orange, its the one by the 24pin connector. it goes from red to orange and then it just stays there. i tried reconnecting all of the cables, different graphics card, resetting the CMOS battery and now i've run out of ideas on what to do to get it to give me a display.

i feel like maybe im missing a cable on the motherboard because i have connected the 24pin to the side, the 6pin for the CPU, but i see that on the motherboard there is another slot for a 4pin connector however im not sure if that one would make a difference or not.

Dec 22, 2019
so then that might be why i cannot get a display, its the only cable i see that i am missing and do not have. i will get one right now and get back to you on that, thank you for the short reply.

Your motherboard needs a 8 pin EATX 12volt power connector for normal operation.
If you plan on overclocking the processor you also need a 4pin EATX 12volt connector.
Never force a 6 pin PCIE cable in a 4 or 8 pin EATX 12v connector, they are not wired the same electrically.
With a cheap power supply without protections you power supply has. it will fry the motherboard, power supply, video card, and possibly anything else connected to the motherboard.
You have a good power supply with good protection so hopefully nothing got damaged.

Dec 22, 2019
Wait but my motherboard has a 24pin, 6pin on top of the cpu, and a 4pin a little to the side. I have the 24pin connected and the 6 pin connected since the 6pin says CPU on it. Or is that just what the cable says, so should I use also the 4pin or do I remove the 6pin and plug in a 4pin instead.

Wait but my motherboard has a 24pin, 6pin on top of the cpu, and a 4pin a little to the side.
That is not 6pin. That is 8pin.

CPIxYrvQp37btZIR_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png