[SOLVED] Motherboard HELP!!!

messatsou

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015
Would it be alright to replace a MSI h61m-p31/w8 Motherboard with a MSI H61M-P25(B3) motherboard? Would I still have to reformat all my files to do so properly?

Solution
Yes, cause the microcode which is bound with windows lies within the bios of chip onto the motherboard, its like serial key for a video game.
If you can upgrade to windows 10, which can be possible, you might get away without using a new key (or if you wanna buy cheapo ebay key and keep windows 7).

if the bios chip (Small chip with 8 legs) is removable, then you can "PROBABLY" replace it with same model, I really did not have checked that cause i've had 2 same motherboards long time ago.
But you can try it, why not?

And if i may ask, why are you replacing same motherboard for same?
D

Deleted member 14196

If they are very similar you might be able to get away with just transplanting the motherboard booting windows and having windows installed a few drivers. However if it doesn’t work you should do a clean install

Yes, cause the microcode which is bound with windows lies within the bios of chip onto the motherboard, its like serial key for a video game.
If you can upgrade to windows 10, which can be possible, you might get away without using a new key (or if you wanna buy cheapo ebay key and keep windows 7).

if the bios chip (Small chip with 8 legs) is removable, then you can "PROBABLY" replace it with same model, I really did not have checked that cause i've had 2 same motherboards long time ago.
But you can try it, why not?

And if i may ask, why are you replacing same motherboard for same?

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

As I said before if the motherboards are very similar even Windows 7 should boot and you would be able to install your chipset drivers and you may have to reactivate but you don’t have to format most likely. You should try it