Question Motherboard overclocking Cpu by itself??

TheQueenAtomic

Prominent
May 7, 2019
So about a week ago my computer start hitting 4700mhz and it was spiking, when I realize I went to the bios and saw that the cpu was in-fact being overclocked trying to target to reach 5 ghz. I tried putting everything back on default settings and the motherboard is still overclocking the cpu and now it’s by default. I already restarted the computer manually through the 2 pins with tha metal object and still doesn’t work. I called Asus and they say that It could be a problem with the motherboard or the cpu. I still have warranty for both so should I get new ones or do I do something else??
Specs:
Cpu:i9-9900K
Mobo:TUF Z370 PLUS GAMIN
GPU:2080Ti XC Ultra
Ram: Corsair 2x8 (16 gb) 2400mhz
PSU:Thermaltake 80 Gold 750W

Last edited:

TheQueenAtomic

Prominent
May 7, 2019
What vcore is the cpu trying to hit? And is it trying to hit 5ghz on all cores?

If so, then disable MCE. MCE is NOT a band-aid. MCE is an auto overclocking feature that motherboard makers optionally use. It is not created by Intel.
I’ll try that, in returning my mobo and cpu and getting new ones tomorrow so I’ll see if that fix it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I’ll try that, in returning my mobo and cpu and getting new ones tomorrow so I’ll see if that fix it.
If you get the same CPU and motherboard, the same thing is going to happen. Even if you get a different motherboard the same thing might happen.

I don't know why you think this is some sort of bug or flaw. A 9900K will automatically boost up to 5 GHz on a couple cores as long as turbo boost is enabled, as per Intel's design. If your motherboard has MCE it will boost to 5 GHz on all cores. Just turn off MCE, that's what BIOS settings are for.

TheQueenAtomic

Prominent
May 7, 2019
If you get the same CPU and motherboard, the same thing is going to happen. Even if you get a different motherboard the same thing might happen.

I don't know why you think this is some sort of bug or flaw. A 9900K will automatically boost up to 5 GHz on a couple cores as long as turbo boost is enabled, as per Intel's design. If your motherboard has MCE it will boost to 5 GHz on all cores. Just turn off MCE, that's what BIOS settings are for.
So it’s by default set to overclock? Also I think the cpu was malfunctioning because when I did a little band aid truck on it it was at Stock speed but spiking

TheQueenAtomic

Prominent
May 7, 2019
I've seen a number of people report their motherboard having MCE on by default, so I wouldn't consider that particularly alarming.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
Oh that when I tried disabling the turbo mode which got set to default(that’s what I meant by using the band aid trick), it did fix and I was at 3600mhz but spiking.

mj.ehsan1999.2nd

Commendable
Jul 22, 2018
Oh that when I tried disabling the turbo mode which got set to default(that’s what I meant by using the band aid trick), it did fix and I was at 3600mhz but spiking.
spiking temps? or clock speed?
if temps, then call intel service. but if clock speeds, it's normal as the CPU has a heavy Turbo boost ( there are many different Turbo boost options that you turn all of them off if you want to stick on 3.6GHz )

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 9900k boosts cores according to power available and load. So if the program is using 2 cores, it'll try and get max performance by boosting those cores to 5GHz, if power and temps allow. If the app is using 8 cores, it'll do the same. If there's insufficient power in the mobo to do so, it'll back off on the boost until it gets all 8 cores as high as it'll handle.

MCE is the same thing, boosts turbo under loads, the difference is that it'll boost every core simultaneously, not individually, and that can have bad results if your cooler is not large enough, you'll see exaggerated temps as every core is trying to hit 5GHz, whether it's used or not.

So disabling MCE means turbo on demand per core, enabling MCE means turbo on demand per load amount.

This isn't an overclock, it's Intel turbo boost.