Sep 7, 2020
My computer recently stopped working, I initially thought it was a psu problem, because once in every 100 attempts the power would try to flick on, then die. However unplugged the gpu, and tried turning it on, it came on with a brief burning smell.

I thought it might be gpu causing a short so swapped with an old spare, the monitor did not recognize that I had a gpu connected. So far I have switched gpus, cords, even taken the mobo out to ensure case wasn't somehow causing a short.

PC still only comes on rarely but now sometimes stays on, but even when it does no matter the gpu, or even the slot in the mobo I put the gpu, it isn't recognized. Is this likely a problem with my motherboard? Or is my psu somehow faulty.

Sep 7, 2020
its the psu.Pleae list the full pc specs including the make/model of your psu.Its likely that the psu doesnt have enough wattage to power your GPU.
Psu - seasonic Evo m12 II 620w
Gpu - gtx 970 but the replacement is a ASRock rx570 so less power needed.
Mobo - MSI 970 gaming
Cpu - amd 8330 or such. It's about four years old and to be honest I can't quite remember. On phone so don't have access to old purchase records.
Oh and case is enthoo pro.

Sep 7, 2020
Sorry for late reply, connection is spotty. But would it still be psu even if it still fails to come on with gpu entirely removed? Even just leaving it a bare mobo it still is hard to make power kick in.

Sep 7, 2020
if you happen to have a spare psu,test it and see what happens.If the same thing happens then its your mobo
Sadly I do not. I actually came here to seek advice because I'll only really have the money to buy one or the other for a good while, so I wanted to see which was the most likely culprit. Thank you for replying though, I feel more confident in making a decision.