Question motherboard standoffs are scratched pretty bad

Oct 20, 2024
Hi everyone

I recently brought this mb and its a lot worse then I though it would be,, the damage is around the middle standoff hole,

I was wondering if I would be able to fix it without to much issue.. and if I could potentially damage any parts I put in it to test it (i.e cpu,ramm,gpu,psu)

there is a fair amount of copper exposed so i dont want to risk frying the only ryzen cpu lol

See pictures.. https://www.reddit.com/r/PcBuildHelp/comments/1g4r3to/motherboard_is_scratched_pretty_bad/

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

brought this mb
What is the make and model of the motherboard?

I was wondering if I would be able to fix it without to much issue.. and if I could potentially damage any parts I put in it to test it (i.e cpu,ramm,gpu,psu)
I noticed the image in your reddit post, I'd return it, without a doubt! Some traces below the circled area are scratched.

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Hi everyone

I recently brought this mb and its a lot worse then I though it would be,, the damage is around the middle standoff hole,

there is a fair amount of copper exposed so i dont want to risk frying the only ryzen cpu lol

See pictures.. https://www.reddit.com/r/PcBuildHelp/comments/1g4r3to/motherboard_is_scratched_pretty_bad/
you will cut washers from cardboard and insert them and there will be no problem

Sticker with arrow on that board indicates, this is a rejected RMA board.
So - someone damaged it, sent it to RMA and RMA was rejected.

Basically - micro surgery level soldering is required.
Board level repairs.
It will be less expensive just to get a new board.

Reactions: Lutfij
Oct 20, 2024
Thank you so much for your advice guys, looks like the board is for parts then :} id rather just replace it then risk frying a ryzen 9 5900

Toms hardware for the win ,, iv asked in a bunch of places now and this is the only place thats even been able to answer my question's

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
It's common to see "exposed" Copper around the mounting holes. This allows the motherboard's ground plane to be "earthed" to the chassis via metal standoffs. Everything inside the white circle which surrounds the hole can safely be grounded to the case metalwork. Anything outside the white circle must NOT be grounded.

Some traces below the circled area are scratched.
Well spotted. You've got excellent eyesight. It looks like someone scraped a metal standoff across the pcb tracks when installing the board. If any of those four very fine pcb tracks are broken or shorted together, it's bin time or ask for a refund.

I was wondering if I would be able to fix it without to much issue.
Only if you're skilled at pcb rework and (peferably) have a binocular microscope to magnify the view while soldering.

if I could potentially damage any parts I put in it to test it (i.e cpu,ramm,gpu,
With the exception of the PSU (which should shutdown) the answer is yes, you could damage components. Don't risk it.

Hi everyone

Most of the "damage" is to the outer, mostly cosmetic, finish coating. Not really harmful, but even cosmetic damage can get a reject flag like that.

The area surrounding the mounting hole is ground plane that must make reliable electrical contact to the case through the mounting screw. DO NOT put any sort of non-conductive washer under the screw head unless the mother board's own installation instructions explicitly say to; something I've rarely ever seen. The damage to the silk screen layer is unimportant around that and to the surrounding ground plane.

More concerning is the damage to those tiny traces the red flag is pointing directly towards: they don't look to be broken but it's often hard to tell for certain. It's a gamble, but if you or someone you know has half decent soldering skills you might make it work if it doesn't. And the price is right, of course.

Before hooking things up to bench test it give it a thorough visual check, under magnification and bright lights, to make sure nothing is shorting together. That's when it's most likely to harm something else.

TRENDING THREADS