[SOLVED] motherboard testing without cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypicklerick

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
my msi x570 motherboard got delivered but my 3900x is still 1 week late i was wondering if i could check the motherboard is operational and not doa
i just have 3 days to check it and apply for a replacament if its doa

i was wondering if i could do any testing of motherboard without cpu

is it safe if i try to start mmb without cpu or other components

ps the motherboard is flash bios compitable and has a fan on the chipset

Solution
If you have the case, then simply plug everything in (minus the CPU of course) and the LEDs might turn on. You should then be able to press the power button, and it should fail to POST, error lights will show if the motherboard has them, or if there is a system speaker it will beep at you.
If you don't have a case, use a screwdriver to short the front panel power button connectors (there should be two power button pins, the screwdriver needs to touch both of these, then be released).
Unfortunately not. The CPU is like the brain of the system, and so without it there is nothing that can be done. However, if the motherboard does happen to be DOA, then it will still be in warranty, and you will find that it can still be returned if it doesn't work when you do get the CPU.

xeddiex

Respectable
Aug 27, 2017
no posting just a sign like rgb working or fan running
That case you can jump start the psu by using the paperclip trick.

Power off psu and unplug the 24 pin connector,
then you want to jump the 4th and 5th pin from your left with the connector face up.
After that, flick the psu power switch back on.

The motherboard will power on as if you have pressed the power button from your case.

7457c015-e2de-4edb-9df1-8cee863a33a2.jpg

If you have the case, then simply plug everything in (minus the CPU of course) and the LEDs might turn on. You should then be able to press the power button, and it should fail to POST, error lights will show if the motherboard has them, or if there is a system speaker it will beep at you.
If you don't have a case, use a screwdriver to short the front panel power button connectors (there should be two power button pins, the screwdriver needs to touch both of these, then be released).

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
If the fans and whatnot do NOT come on when you try to power up without the CPU, that is not a direct indicator of a broken motherboard.
It simply means that this particular motherboard can't do it without the CPU.

Additionally, if the fans DO come on, that only tells you that the fan circuitry works.

Without all the parts, this test is meaningless.

Reactions: ConanLock
Status
Not open for further replies.