Motherboard won't power on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2020
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte Aurus Ultra x570 motherboard, and I can't get my build to boot for the life of me.

I decided to take out everything, and see if I can get the status LEDs to show something. I currently have the motherboard sitting on the ground with nothing plugged in besides the 24pin power connector and a fan; no cpu, ram, gpu, sad, nada. I have the fan in there because I believe it should spin if it gets power. Turning on the power supply makes the lights on the motherboard blink for just a second, then nothing. No fan running, no status LEDs. Am I being dumb or is this board dead?

Notably, unplugging the psu from the outlet and then plugging it back in and turning it on makes the lights on the mobo flash again, but turning the psu off and on again does not. Not sure what that means.

Frankly stuck at this point. Considering I've removed everything, things like updating BIOS and part compatibility are out the window. The PSU passed the paperclip test and was used in a previous build so I think it should be fine.

Dec 16, 2020
Ah, ok. I thought it might power on the fans and status LEDs without those parts, but sounds like that was the wrong assumption.

Parts:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aurus Ultra x570
CPU: AMD 5600x
GPU: AMD 6800
RAM: 1 x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8 GB
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Zero Z440 1TB NVMe SSD

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte Aurus Ultra x570 motherboard, and I can't get my build to boot for the life of me.

I decided to take out everything, and see if I can get the status LEDs to show something. I currently have the motherboard sitting on the ground with nothing plugged in besides the 24pin power connector and a fan; no cpu, ram, gpu, sad, nada. I have the fan in there because I believe it should spin if it gets power. Turning on the power supply makes the lights on the motherboard blink for just a second, then nothing. No fan running, no status LEDs. Am I being dumb or is this board dead?

Notably, unplugging the psu from the outlet and then plugging it back in and turning it on makes the lights on the mobo flash again, but turning the psu off and on again does not. Not sure what that means.

Frankly stuck at this point. Considering I've removed everything, things like updating BIOS and part compatibility are out the window. The PSU passed the paperclip test and was used in a previous build so I think it should be fine.
most of the time its user error. make sure that you plug in all the power cables

Dec 16, 2020
most of the time its user error. make sure that you plug in all the power cables
I hope it's user error; I need this thing for work tomorrow.

I plugged in the 2 x 4pin connectors to the GPU, the 24pin to the motherboard, and the 8pin to the slot beside the CPU. I think that accounts for everything.

There's also a 4pin near the CPU, but AFAIK I don't need to plug anything in there if I already have an 8pin for the CPU connected.

Dec 16, 2020
https://www.aorus.com/blog/How-to-Update-Your-BIOS-Part-2.php
search on "Q-Flash Plus" instruction is way at the bottom

That worked! I was able to flash my BIOS with the Q-Flash plus instructions. I saw the PSU, chip, and on-board fans turn on too. I still can't get the thing to turn on otherwise though. Using the power switch or shorting it with a philips head does nothing. Although, I ran Q-flash plus again with all of my hardware in, and all the fans ran in there too. The GPU fans and lights were on. The memory lights were not on (the RBG on top of the memory sticks), but I'm assuming that's ok for now.

Starting to think the power switch is faulty at this point. Would be nice to find an alternative way to power on the system that isn't making it run Q-flash.

Dec 21, 2020
Brief follow on to this... I was in a similar situation. I would power the board on and it would come on for like half a second and seemingly power off. The memory on the motherboard would light up (that colorful RGB memory), but that was it. No fans turning on the GPU, cooling system, or power supply. I couldn't even get to BIOS.

Doing the Q-Flash Plus worked. The fans spun to life mid update, and the computer would work as long as I didn't turn the power off or pull the plug. Doing so would put the computer back in the original state where it would come on for a half a second and shut off.

What fixed it was in the BIOS. After the flash succeeded, I could get into BIOS and play around. I THINK it was the option under Settings->Power->Power Loading. I set it to enabled. I changed several things, but I believe that was the one.

Seems kinda backwards to me... My thinking was that the board or power supply was faulty, and I replaced both. But eh, things work now.

My board is AORUS PRO AC BB550 Rev 1.1. Hopefully, the solution works across the AORUS / Gigabyte line.

Dec 16, 2020
Ah, well what the hell. I did not try to do anything after q-flash without first turning the system off. I did return the board (and CPU) in RMA claims, but I'll be sure to give that a try when I receive/buy new parts, and I'll report back here with my results.

Thank you for sharing.

Dec 21, 2020
Hah, that is EXACTLY what happened to me. I did an RMA on the board. When the 2nd board wouldn't power on and behaved exactly like the 1st one, I figured something more sinister was at play. 😕

Good luck. Again, it seems like a weird sequence of events to get things going...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS